Chapter 19

Pet wanted to run. He wanted to change into a mouse and charge through the stalls, nibbling at the treats he saw, grabbing a taste of all the pastries.

It was far harder to be a human under these circumstances than it had been when they were out on their own. He knew that he couldn't just grab something and eat it, though it was very hard to fight that instinct. The people would want money. He had a few coins, but Circe's knowledge of what to do with them wasn't clear. He watched a few booths as they passed, but everyone seemed to be arguing and what coin passed hands varied.

He found everything very confusing.

And then Dylan went to his knees, and for one heart-wrenching moment, Pet feared that he was going to change back into a cat. He didn't. He just didn't look able to go on any farther. The human guards helped Kalliope get him out of the pathway, and Dylan sat against the side of a booth with his head on his knees, apparently gasping for breath.

Kalliope had turned quite pale and knelt beside Dylan. Tiernan leapt from her shoulder and landed on the ground, cawing softly as he moved back and forth by the cat.

"Damned impressive bird," the guard said. "He knows there's something wrong. I thought he was just devoted to you, ma'am."

"Kalliope," she said and only glanced at Tiernan. "Dylan can't go on just yet. I'm sorry. He traveled all night to reach us when he should have rested."

"I'm Norther. Look, how about if I get you some food and him a tunic while you rest here," the guard suggested.

"Here's coin," Kalliope said, handing the man her bag. He looked startled. "I'm grateful for the help. Oh, and Pet doesn't eat meat."

"Try to stay out of trouble," Norther said.

He started away but signaled his men to stay behind. Pet was glad to have the guards there. He thought he saw Owen in the curious crowd, but no one would get very close to them with the guards in place. After all the colors and sounds, he felt relaxed sitting in the shadow of the booth while someone else did the work of trade, which he didn't begin to understand. Petkin looked around and decided that he could do nothing more than sit and wait as well. He settled down on the other side of Dylan, drawing the cat's head up for a moment.

"Sorry," Dylan whispered.

"Hey, I'm grateful," Pet said. Dylan lifted his head again, looking confused and weak. "I was trying to figure out how to get some food."

Dylan gave a little laugh and lowered his head again. Pet hoped that he was doing better.

"I hate this city," Kalliope admitted. "How can people stand to live like this?"

"They like to be among their own," Dylan replied, his voice muffled but easily understood. "They feel safer behind the gates and among the guards."

"Safer?" Kalliope asked.

"From the wolves," he said and made one amused sound.

"Right. And these people think they can trust each other?"

"No, they don't. That's why the guards are on the inside."

"Damn strange creatures. I'll never understand them." She stopped and looked at Tiernan, who had settled quietly into the corner. "Prince, it might be wise for you to fly out of the city and wait for us in the woods beyond. This is taking too long. We can't risk you having problems changing back."

Tiernan shifted from foot to foot but made no move to leave.

"Just keep it in mind. And remember how much of this depends upon you talking to the King."

His head bowed. Pet was glad Kalliope reminded him. It seemed, the farther they went on this journey, the less important the purpose became for them. It seemed enough just to survive from place to place.

Or maybe that was just his mouse thoughts again. He had always worried about survival.

Norther came back with the food, a nice shirt for Dylan, and even some medicine he said the guards used to help keep fevers down. Dylan obviously didn't like the taste of it, but he took some without argument. The clothing apparently made him feel much better. He only nibbled at the food, despite Kalliope's attempts to encourage him to eat more. When he finally made a little growling noise, she stopped bothering him.

Norther looked a little oddly at the two and Pet was glad that he wasn't acting so strangely. The guard had brought him an apple and some bread and cheese. He nibbled at all three, content for the first time since they came into this town.

Soon they began moving again, Norther escorting them slowly through the rest of the market. Now that Pet had food in his hands he wasn't tempted by anything else. People still looked at them, but the guards kept everyone back and soon they were traveling down paths with fewer people around.

"Look, I'd like to ask you some questions," Norther suddenly said. "I don't know where you came from, but since you entered by the South Gate, I'm going to assume you traveled from that direction. We've heard rumors. Strange stuff about armies hiding in the woods, about wars coming."

Tiernan made a little sound. It was not a protest. Pet could see that Kalliope appeared uncertain. Pet thought they had to trust that their human knew what was right and wanted to tell her as much, but Tiernan's second soft coo seemed to do the work.

"There is an army on the move. They've trying to stay hidden," she admitted. "I don't know much of the reasons --"

"They're working against the king," Dylan said. "Lord Rolin and his ally, Lord Leith."

They walked on in silence down the twisting road, and past clusters of buildings that looked worse the farther they went. Pet suspected they were getting very near the northern gate. Norther slowed, and he wondered what the man wanted to say.

"What's your part in all this?" he finally asked.

"We're going to the King," Dylan said. Kalliope still looked bothered by admitting so much, but Dylan didn't stop. "I'm sure that he's aware there is a problem. We can supply more of the facts. He needs to know at least as much as we do."

Norther nodded, looking solemn and worried. Pet hoped that was a good sign. Humans were so difficult to understand.

"Do you work for the king."

"Yes," Kalliope said. "Only he doesn't know it."

"Ah. And you expect he'll pay for this knowledge?"

"Will he?" Dylan asked. "Do hu -- Do Kings pay for such information? I would think they would expect their people to tell them when something bad was about to befall them, especially if the people liked the world in which they lived."

Norther looked at Dylan for a dozen more steps. Something the cat said had bothered the soldier, though he didn't appear to be angry.

"I don't know who you people are," he said suddenly. "But I, at least, am grateful. I don't want to live under Lord Rolin's hand, let alone Lord Leith's."

"You are a very wise human," Kalliope said.

"And you aren't. Human, I mean."

She started to protest, but he lifted a hand. "No matter. Go to King Gelban with your news."

They had reached the gate. Norther waved to the guard standing by the opening and then nodded to the three. "Go on. Be careful."

"Thank you, Captain Norther," Kalliope said. "We won't forget."

He looked startled. The Gods alone knew what he thought the four of them actually were, but he seemed to believe that Kalliope's words meant something important.

Maybe they did. Pet was beginning to wonder what they really were -- or what they would become after this was done.