Chapter Part 41

Petkin hoped he didn't slow them down. Even Dylan with his injured leg seemed to move more quickly than he did today. He didn't know why the battle the night before had drained him so badly.

He would not fail today.

Kalliope stood by the gate when they arrived. She looked grim and anxious. Pela paced and came to a stop when Pet, Dylan, and their guard arrived.

"We saw," Kalliope said. "Did you have a clear view of where he fell?"

"Better than you on the ground," Dylan replied. "I'll lead the way. As humans?"

"No. We'll move more quickly in our true forms. Besides, there are still a few people clamoring beyond the gate. A wolf, I think, will do well to chase them off long enough for all of us to get through. Will you carry Pet or shall I?"

"I will carry him. We've gotten used to it," Dylan replied. Then he looked at Petkin. "Unless you object?"

"That's fine," Petkin said. He wanted to get out there and yet felt remarkably calm about the coming battle.

There would be a battle. Something wanted Tiernan stopped before he reached the castle.

"We know what we have to do," Kalliope said. "The troops will follow as soon as they can, but it'll take longer for them to get through the city. We'll be on our own until then."

"Let's go find Tiernan and keep him safe," Dylan said. "That's always been our job. We'll do ours and let the others worry about what they can do."

Kalliope nodded. "Open the gate, Pela. But not far. We'll get through in little space."

Pela looked a little worried and perhaps intrigued. At another time Petkin would have found this interesting and would have wanted to see her reaction when they changed. Now he could only think about Tiernan falling from the sky. There had been no sign that the blackness had come back for the falcon again but he wasn't safe. He'd have flown on to them if he'd been able.

The gate began to open, and Petkin could hear the sound of people shouting outside. He looked at Dylan and nodded and changed in the next breath. Dylan did as well, and Kalliope became her wolf-self only a moment later. Dylan bowed his head, and Petkin climbed on, clinging to the cat's ears.

The gate opened wide enough for the two of them, but Dylan hesitated. It took Petkin a moment to realize he meant to let Kalliope go through first. As soon as the wolf squeezed through the opening, he and Dylan followed into a world of madness. People shouted and protested, surging toward the opening and then crying out in dismay and backing up again. Some tried to strike at Kalliope and Dylan purposely tripped one who almost fell on them -- but they got away from the mob after that and headed for something far more dangerous.