20 Questions

hehe, yeah i'm uploading already because i've been waiting for this chapter for a while and now i'm not that thrilled with it but whatever. hope you guys like it because that's all that matters. and, and please vote & comment - they mean a lot !

anna <3

- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - 

“Do you like my dress, Brooklyn?”

My mother tore her eyes off of the mirror, and looked at me waiting for a response. I’d spent the last thirty minutes helping her find a dress to wear to the Kilduff’s house. The Kilduff’s were pretty much the Hampton family of Washington. They lived in a mansion on a large, 3-acre property. Everybody knew the Kilduff’s, and Jeff was particularly close to them because Mr. Kilduff worked at the same law firm.

They were hosting a “private” get together regarding Brenda’s accident, but I knew it was just an excuse to throw some elaborate gathering. My mother wasn’t exactly your elegant, classy kind of girl, but the pale yellow dress we had picked made her pass by as one.

“Yeah, I think you look great, ma,” I assured her, earning a small smile.

“That’s only because you picked it,” she told me quickly, absorbing herself in her reflection once more. Rolling my eyes, I sat up and left the room. After thinking for a few moments, I finally decided to just go and eat something while I waited to say bye. Settling on an orange, I sat up on the counter and waited. Just as I finished peeling it, Jeff and my mom made their way down the stairs with Liam in tow behind them.

My mom waved me over and I reluctantly had to leave my orange behind.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come, sweetie? The Kilduff’s son is very handsome and just your age,” she said. I couldn’t see her face, so I guessed she was joking.

“Nah, I already have someone in mind,” I replied back teasingly, honestly not thinking of anyone in particular.

My mom looked back up at me – more like glared. My heart drummed under my chest as I realized that she hadn’t been kidding. Boys had always been a little joke between us, so I wouldn’t expect her to be serious.

“Brooklyn, you and I both know Justin’s family is a mess. They went through that rough divorce and now they barely have enough money to hold the house together. But whatever, we’re late, Jeff. Bye loves,” she called, breezing past me and closing the door after her.

I stood there, my gaze transfixed at the door. The Justin comment barely bothered me, even though I had no idea where she had come up with that. What did bother me was how she had mentioned their issues. Since when had my mother cared about money? She had always told me to go after the guy that made me happy. Feeling very uncomfortable and unsure, I made way back up the stairs.

“It feels like I don’t even know her anymore,” I whispered shakily as I heard Liam behind me.

Leaning against the door, I looked back at him. His expression was unreadable, but he eyes were sympathetic. Something told me he’d been here and done this.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I rested my forehead on the cold wood and exhaled loudly.

“Come on, Brooke. Being upset won’t change anything.”

Growling with frustration, I twisted around and slid down the door until I was sitting on the flossy, wooden floor. My hands spread out to touch the cold surface and I sighed loudly again, looking up at him. He was already sitting down across from me, crossing his legs and giving me a small smile. This time it was his turn to cheer me up.