Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen 

“Nikki!” I shouted while running pass the crowd of students. 

They were leaving the cafeteria for their next lesson since the bell had already rung. Nikki and I had the same English Literature class, so before lunch, we made a deal to attend it together.

“Nikki!” From about ten feet away I saw Nikki darting out alone, I kept on shouting her name. For a second her face turned to my direction but soon snapped back to where she was heading. I convinced myself that she just didn’t saw me.

People were bumping into my shoulders, stepping on my shoes. I almost tripped over a backpack on the ground but they didn’t stop me from attempt to reach Nikki.

Finally, I succeeded. I spotted her entering the bathroom, so I followed her in and made sure nobody else was there. 

There she was, standing in front of the mirror with her arms crossed in front of her chest, looking disappointed and upset. I stepped a few inches forward nervously and awkwardly greeted her.

“Hey,”

“What are you doing here? Where are your new BFFs?” She asked ironically.

“They are not my best friends,” I sighed and added, “Nor you, either.”

Okay, that was probably the meanest thing I’ve ever said to someone, but yea, I was kind of pissed.

“Look, I came here to apologize, even though I know I didn’t do anything wrong. You know that she’s a drama queen, right? I have no idea what she’s up to. Maybe she’s just trying to befriend me so she can have more chance to hang out with the Bass, or maybe she’s just egoistic enough to think that I’m going to be best friend with a girl that I don’t even know,” Then I paused, gasping for air in the break.

Nikki had her brows frowned slightly, looked like she was trying to process what I was trying to say. Good luck for her, though. I was never a good communicator, let along giving such a long speech.

“But she is wrong, and so are you. You should’ve have judged me like that, saying that I’m a wannabe. I explained and for the second time, you judged me again, just because what she said. I can’t guarantee that I’ve never lied to anyone before, but I swear when I told you that I didn’t know the girls, it was the truth. I wanted to get to know you, instead of them. I want to be your friend, but right now you’re not giving me a chance.”

Nikki’s face softened as she dropped down her hands, and looked at me apologetically. “You know what? You’re right. I’m sorry.”

Well, I had to admit that I was kinda surprised. I thought she was going to push me to the floor and cuss at me or something.

“When I was in eleventh grade, Stephanie was my best friend, too. We even agreed to have the same color of nails whenever there’s a prom.” She looked down at the nails and sighed. She walked pass me and pushed open the door, we headed to our classroom together.

“Everything changed when she got her first boyfriend. I saw him cheating on her so I told her, and she thought I was the psycho who got jealous of her. So she slapped me in the face and accused me for cheating on the mid-term examination. The school suspended me for a year, that’s why I’m still a junior.”

Wicked!

“Wow, she’s…possessive,” I couldn’t think of a proper term to describe Stephanie, but now I finally understood the way Nikki treated me earlier. 

At least maybe that’s because she was uncomfortable about having a mutual friend with the girl she once used to trust on so much. 

“I don’t hate her, though. I feel sorry for her.”