Chapter 1: How It All Began

Britlyn's POV*

       "Father? May I please go out to the garden?" A young Britlyn Salvatore spoke.

       Father slightly shifted and his face turned to stone.
"No. We cannot risk you being scene by anyone. Your magic isn't a gift, it's an abomination." He growled, grabbing his bottle of whiskey and walking towards his office.

       Father never truly loved me like he did with my younger brothers; Stefan and Damon.

       They were the apples of his eye, most of the time. Stefan never got in trouble, but Damon would take the blame for everything Stefan did wrong.

       Once Stefan stole one of father's collectible items and broke it, and once he put it back in it's place, Damon was the one who took the blame. He got a severe beating. Like one of the ones I normally got.

       "But mother always said it was a gift that I needed to embrace!" I hollered back, immediately regretting it.

His harsh footsteps made me freeze in my spot, I knew I was going to feel his wrath.

       "Don't you ever speak about your mother in this household! Do I make myself clear, young lady?!" He shouted, smacking my face, landing me a spot right on the stiff wooden ground.

       "Y-yes, father." I mumbled, tears softly spilling over my eyes and onto my cheeks.

       "If I ever hear a word of hers come out of your mouth, I will put you away with the horses and never look back." His breath wreaked of alcohol and his eyes read sorrow.

       My mother and my brothers were the only ones who ever cared for me. They made sure that when they were home, my father couldn't get to me.

       Maybe it was because I was a bastard child, my father wasn't Giuseppe Salvatore. My real father was a wealthy man from the town over, my mother, got pregnant right before she met my father.

       They agreed that he would love me as though I was his, but once Damon was born, I knew that I was subject to change.

       Everything I had known, was soon to disappear.

       I was four when Damon was born, and I knew instantly how to feel love for anyone other than my parents.

       He was so sweet and caring, he never hurt me. He was the brother you would have always dreamed of having.

       Then Stefan was born, and I was ten years old. Damon still loved me ever so dearly, but I had noticed my father had been slowly drifting away from me.

       Though there was never really any adoration there, he made my mother and I believe it was until she died, and I found out the truth about my real father.

       Later on, my brothers were only fourteen and twenty, and my father had just hit me for bringing my mother up in conversation.

        I slowly got up from the dining room floor, and made my way up the stairs to my room. My eyes were pouring a never ending waterfall.

        I brought out some stationary that my mother bought me the year she passed away. I had been saving for a day like this one, a day that would forever change the lives of my family.