NINE.

NINE ; THE COMMISSION

TO QUINN'S SURPRISE, the coffee shop on the corner of her street wasn't crowded. She was used to the early morning hustle and bustle that the café usually had, but on this particular Wednesday morning, Quinn could only spot a handful of regulars she saw every week. For someone who had been through yet another sleepless night, it was almost refreshing to see things calm, even if for a moment.

The time on the clock told her that it was six-thirty in the morning. She sat at a table in the corner of the room, leaning back in her chair, watching the cars pass through the window beside her. She smiled as the waitress as she knew as Christine placed her mug in front of her, passing her a small tip in return. The girl grinned at Quinn, thanking her as she walked away.

Quinn blew on the liquid as she brought it to her lips, waiting a moment to drink it. She placed the cup back down on the table, adding a bit of sugar to her coffee with cream. She wasn't sure why she felt the urge to tamper with her order, but went along with it anyway, mixing it in with the spoon next to her cup.

She looked back to the window, watching as people passed, watching as a group of women entered the shop. Cars continued to pass, people continued to commute. Quinn nearly let herself shut her eyes for a moment, but decided against it.

When she turned away from the window, she was startled to see that someone was sitting opposite her. What stunned her more however, was that it was Elliot Higgins, staring at her, a small smirk tugging at his lips.

His eyes flashed to Quinn's hand that was now reaching behind her and into her coat pocket, presumably looking to grab her phone. Higgins shook his head placing the phone he had taken from her on the table. "You're not going to be needing this," he told her, fingers wrapping around the mug he had brought over.

Quinn was silent for a moment, her eyes never leaving his. She began to evaluate him, unsure of how to approach the situation. She bit the inside of her cheek. "Why are you here?"

"You've been communicating with Masters," he stated. His voice was soft, less deep than Quinn had pictured it to be. "The retired Horsemen email. Strange move, but bright nonetheless." She could tell that he thought just the opposite. Quinn couldn't disagree. It was a dangerous choice.

She swallowed, clenching her jaw. What was he doing? She mustered up the courage to speak. "I know that you didn't follow me to congratulate me on speaking with you," she said. "So, why? Why are you here?"

"You have become more bold," said Higgins, his tone almost mocking. Quinn glared at him. "Masters had mentioned it. I had to see it for myself."