~eleven~

"Why me?"

Vedant visibly sighed, as though making up his mind. "I don't know!"

It didn't make sense that a guy like Vedant Shah was showing interest in her. It didn't make sense that he was dangerously close to convincing her with his words.

But Meera knew better.

She knew how guys were. This is just a chase for him, a way to live his unfulfilled Bollywood dreams. Once I concede, the chase will end, and so will this affection I see in his eyes.

He's like every other guy who doesn't know how to respect a girl's privacy.

How DARE he read my diary?

"As convincing as you sound right now, none of what you just said was an explanation. You read someone's personal diary Vedant. And that is so not cool."

Vedant sighed, as he took a step near her.

"I had no intention of reading your diary Meera..." she shook her head, clearly unconvinced. He paused, hurt at her lack of judgement, "...what are your theories?"

"Excuse me?"

"What are your theories? I mean, you seem to be pretty convinced about my motive behind reading your diary." She looked a little alarmed, and it gave him a deep sense of satisfaction at having caught her by surprise. "Please, enlighten me."

"I have no theories." She took a deep breath in and out, as she looked into his eyes with certainty, "I can't forgive you for what you did. And as for your...your feelings..." she flushed, "...I'm not looking for anything like that right now."

Where did I go wrong THIS time?

"Meera I'm sorry okay? I was trying to find you. I wanted to return you your ba-"

"-you already mentioned that and I've already thanked you."

She looked away, and in that very moment Vedant knew he'd lost his chance to explain. Whatever little chance she'd given him initially was also gone, and no matter what he'd do she wasn't going to let him in again.

It angered him. Not her, but just circumstances in general.

Why couldn't he and Meera have a normal story like people their age? Why couldn't they have been in the same school? Or why couldn't she have been a part of his friend's circle? Why couldn't they have simply exchanged numbers and texted at night until they realized their feelings for each other? Why couldn't they go for coffee dates and hang around in Marine Drive with no unwarranted drama?

Why the bag swap? Why had he been so self absorbed as to never notice this girl? Maybe then she'd believe him?

It made him feel so low. But seeing how uncomfortable she looked that instant, he knew he didn't have it in him to force her into anything. So he did what he thought was best, he accepted the rejection and gracefully let her go.

"Can I drop you home?"

"No, I'll manage."