~twelve~

Vedant got into one of the Big Four. Now, all he needed were his results. If he cleared IPCC in this very first attempt, he could start his Articleship then itself. If he didn't....urgh I don't want to think about it.

His parents had received the news the way they received every other news.

"Oh I knew you'd manage Vedant!" His mother had exclaimed.

"Proud of you son." His father had patted his shoulder awkwardly.

And Vidisha had crushed him into a bone breaking hug.

At least I have something to look forward to. He told himself, as he watched a random movie on TV while munching onto chips.

He couldn't stop thinking about Meera.

Not because she'd rejected him to his face, but because he didn't recall being this guilty of anything he'd ever done before. He'd intruded her life.

I'm a bad human being.

"No you're not. You just care too much. And you speak your thoughts out loud all the time." Archit announced, grabbing a fistful of chips from Vedant's packet and sliding next to him on the couch.

Despite his mood, Vedant grinned, "Sup."

"You tell me. You're the one that looks miserable."

Vedant laughed, as he turned off the TV.

"What brings you here?" he turned to Archit, who was all smiles.

"I'm dating Kanika." Archit beamed, quite easily giving away how happy he was about it.

"What? Seriously?" Vedant turned with a wide grin. "Congrats man. I'm so happy for you."

And then, instantly he felt low.

"Thanks. And I know I'm being an official dick with letting you know now when you're so messed up."

"It's cool." Vedant stuffed his mouth with more chips, as he stared at the wall ahead.

"Are you gonna tell me or what?"

"Tell you what?"

Archit rolled his eyes. "It's been a month since you even uttered the name Meera."

He sighed with frustration, turning towards him with annoyance, "I f***ked up man."

Archit threw a questioning look, and Vedant just shrugged, "She's smart. She figured I've read her diary."

"Damn."

"Then she got ballistic and we got into an argument. Like an idiot, before apologizing or explaining I blurted out what I feel for her and she obviously freaked out. She's not convinced and she's pissed. She probably thinks I'm a creep Archit!"

Archit chortled, "That's majorly f***ked up!"

"You don't say."

"So what happened after that?"

"Nothing." Vedant shrugged. "She wanted to leave and I let her."

Archit didn't react instantly, as though he were pondering over something.

"Archit."

"Hmm?"

"What happened? Did I do something wrong?"

"Actually..." Archit started thoughtfully, "...for the very first time, you didn't."

Vedant blinked with surprise, "Really?"

"Yeah. If she needs time, you give her time."

"I highly doubt it's time she needs. She hates me Archit. And I don't even blame her. I hate myself."

Archit sighed deeply, as he folded his arms before his chest thoughtfully. "I hate to admit but what you've done is pretty-"

"-disgusting? Low? I know. I just couldn't stop Archit. And you know what the worst part is?" he paused for breath, "I don't regret it. If I wouldn't have read her diary I wouldn't have had her in my life at all! But what I do regret is to have intruded into her life like this."

"Intense." Archit pondered out loud, "Give her time I guess. Wait till she comes up to talk to you herself, when she's ready to hear you out. And please, take things slow and explain yourself before you expect anything romantic from her side."

Despite his mood, Vedant managed a small grin as he chortled, "Aye Aye Captain."

"