BACK IN TIME

A/N:

As promised, the first chapter of the third and final book of this series. :)

********************************

~one~

"Vedant."

He watched himself drive, his hands alternating over the gear box and the steering wheel. The stereo played old Hindi numbers, and every few seconds he'd hear Meera hum along with the song from the passenger's seat.

Clad in a navy blue kurti and her hair sprawled wildly, she hugged her legs to herself, folding her knees. Her eyes were closed, and her lips were quirked up with a satisfied smile.

Abhi na jao chod kar....

Ke dil abhi...bhara nahi.

She sang along softly.

Meera wasn't much of a singer, but her voice was something Vedant had always found rather soothing.

Abhi abhi toh aaye ho

Bahaar ban ke chaye ho...

"Vedant." Meera called again.

His forehead creased with confusion. Her voice sounded distant suddenly. But she was singing next to him; just two seconds ago.

"Vedant. Come on."

Now, her voice sounded urgent. He pulled the brakes to the car at a red signal; the stereo still playing the song; as he turned to face Meera; only to look at an empty seat.

"VEDANT SHAH I SWEAR TO GOD...!" He yelped, sitting up on his bed with a sudden jerk. His head throbbed, and it took more than a few seconds for him to realize he'd been dreaming; of Meera again.

"Hello? Vedant?" It was Meera's voice again.

But I was clearly dreaming. Wasn't I?

"Here. To your right!"

Vedant's head snapped to his right to see his laptop perched on the bed. On the screen, Meera waved at him frantically. Upon their eyes meeting, she rolled her eyes dramatically and shook her head at him; as though exhausted.

"Oh hi. I didn't...see you." He replied doubtfully, as he scratched the back of his head with awkwardness.

Who'd put them on a skype call? He never called her; or picked up her call.

"You're such a deep sleeper." She sighed. "It almost ruined my plan."

"What plan?" Vedant asked cautiously, already scared at the way Meera grinned at him with mischief.

"Happy Birthday Vedant!" she all but yelled, as she spread her arms wide; attempting to give him a virtual hug.

Despite his intensifying curiosity, a soft chuckle escaped his lips at her antics. "Thanks Meera."

"Come on." Her face fell with disappointment. When Vedant raised his brows with question she urged, "Hug me back."

All the bitterness and disagreements from the previous months came rushing back to him, and he found himself stiffen.

"I would, if you were here."

Meera's expressions contorted to one of hurt. He felt guilt somewhere deep down inside for being the source of her hurt, but he knew he had directed his statement with the very intention of pinching her.

"It's your birthday today Vedant. Can we not fight just this once?"

"We're not fighting." He deadpanned, quoting Meera's famous line she'd thrown at him numerous times. "I'm just putting forth my views."