Chapter I

I pulled my blond hair up, wrapping it up in a messy top bun as if it was a robotic movement. It was too early this morning to even think about doing anything other than a messy bun. The god-awful school uniform hung on my body. The black skirt seemed slightly too short and too loose, reaching inches above my knee. The navy-blue button up tucked neatly into the skirt as its sleeves were rolled up to my elbows. Standing in front of the large mirror that covered my wall. I was pretty average honestly. The average height, blonde hair that hung to my lower back. My eyes that where a dull gray color and a perfect smile due to the braces I had for years in middle school. I wasn't ugly but I wasn't that girl who always drew attention. I haven't actually been on any real dates.

I skipped downstairs to find that my mom already left for work. I drank some hot coffee with a bagel and looked at the calendar. 58 more days and I'm out of here. I grabbed two little blue pills and swallowed them before grabbing my keys and left for St. Charles high school... a living nightmare for those with intelligence. I hated going to school, everything about it. Walking through the hall, people pushing into me as they shoved by me like I wasn't even there. I held my breath trying to get to my class. I finally let out my breath as I scattered into my class sitting in the back. It was hard to pay attention in English. Frankenstein wasn't the most capturing topic. My mind was only focused on the news my mom broke to me yesterday.

He's back.

Zaden is back.

Zaden Voss had picked on me since I learned to walk. He is three years older than me and did everything in his power to piss me off. He was sent off to some strict expensive private military school in his sophomore year because his parents thought it would be good for him. He has been reckless before he left. Zaden was pulled into the wrong crowd. That's when his drinking started, the endless parties, him going missing without a word for days at a time.

My mom told me that tonight we have to go have dinner with his family. His mother and mine have been best friends since they were kids. They lived on the same block back then. Lucky for me that means I see him way more than I would have liked.

Class after class the day went by... soon I found myself sitting in my car staring straight out the window at nothing in particular. I have to get home but if I go home, I'll have to go to the diner and see him. I slowly turned the key and started the car. I took the long way home and slowly parked the car before going into the house. I noticed my mom's car wasn't here which meant she was still at work. Maybe it'll give me some time to think of an excuse that I can't make it to dinner.

I got in the house and jogged upstairs. I slowly peeled away my clothes before getting in the shower. Goosebumps rise on my skin from the ice-cold water. Cold shower always calmed me down. It made me feel refreshed. Soon enough I had to convince myself to get out and to get ready. I slowly slipped out the shower, letting the water drip on to the marble ground. I heard the door open; it was probably my mom, so I didn't think much of it. I tugged on a white set of panties and a matching bra before exiting the bathroom.

There in my room stood a tall figure near my desk. He was looking at the college paperwork scattered across the desk.

A blood curling scream let out of me as instinct as I threw the closest thing that was near me which happened to be a pillow. The tall figure turned around with wide eyes as the pillow hit his face, falling to the floor. Standing in front of me was about a 6 foot something, tall and buffy guy. His brown hair was messy, and his light eyes traveled my body as mine traveled his.

Zaden.

There in front of me, in my room while I was basically naked stood Zaden. I watched as his eyes were still glued to my body, then it hit me hard. I had nothing on but a bra and underwear. I quickly turned around and dashed back into the bathroom locking the door. I slid down the door resting on the cold marble floor breathing hard. I felt as if I was losing my breath, as the simplest thing as breathing became rocket science.

No not now, please not a panic attack. I was holding myself together, it's been a while since I had a full-blown panic attack. I heard a soft knock on the bathroom door, and I held my breath as I shut my eyes tightly. He's still here, he is right behind the door.

"Nova" that deep husky voice that I haven't heard in three years spoke from the other side of the door. I didn't say anything hoping he would just leave. I heard a few curses mumbled under his breath before I heard loud steps walking away. I sat there on the cold floor for some time. I didn't think my legs would hold me if I stood up.

"Nova!" I heard my mom's voice yell through the house.

"WHAT!?" I yelled back. I slipped out the bathroom pulling over a hoodie.

"Hurry! get ready, we leave in 20 minutes!" she yelled, and my eyes got wide. I don't want to go anywhere near him. I slipped on some faded jeans and walked downstairs to see my mom prancing around the kitchen. She turned around and looked at me with a frown.

My mom was a single parent, pregnant at 19 and my "father" ditched her. I looked just like her, the same blond hair, the same no colored eyes, the dimples and the high cheek bones.

She was in her late thirties and had silent wrinkles near her eyes but other than that she was perfect. She has always been there for me, she is my best friend, she's the one who helps me through the panic attacks and the anxiety. I hated that she would always get worried for me, but I get it, she cared a lot about me. She's a mother that what they do. They worry about you and they love you to no means.

"You can't go in that." she said pointing to my clothes. She stood there in a nice pencil skirt and floral blouse from work.

"Why not?" I asked frowning. I wasn't feeling like dressing up and looking all nice. I didn't even want to go out to this dinner.

"It's a fancy diner at a fancy restaurant, Most of the Voss family will be there." my mom told me pushing me back up to the stairs. There was no winning with her is there.

"Which dress?" I asked her softly and my mom gave me a warm smile.

"The black one from that one wedding we went to." she said. I groaned before making my way to my room. I pulled on the dress and slipped on a pair of heels to go with it.

"You look beautiful Vee" she said smiling brightly at me. I just smiled back not wanting to start any drama. If it was my choice I would have just gone in jeans. It's just the Voss family. They were basically our family. Why would I have to dress up for a Zaden coming back dinner.

"I get it from my mom" I joked, she laughed as we made our way to her car and drove off to wherever.