Chapter 3//The woods

I run until I can't run anymore. Collapsing on the ground, I gasp for breath. I hadn't realised it but the sky was now pitch black. I must have ended up at the other end of the country!
Sighing I sit down on a log and let my thoughts consume me.

HE'S MY MATE?!?!

How can he be my mate? He's an absolute shithead. The few encounters I've had with him I felt nothing but repulsion.

Or did I?

After staring at the sky I come to the conclusion that I will reject him. I don't want a mate and he probably doesn't either. So I come up with my plan....

To reject a mate you have to go to the pack of the male and ask the moon goddess to release the two of you from your mate bond. But it has to be done at the place that the mating ceremony occurs. This is usually a river of some sort, as it reflects the moon's light.

So now I have to find his pack. I'm aware that the Edgewater pack is somewhere in the woods outside the school, so since I am the 'almost Luna', I should have some sort of connection to its meeting place. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Letting my senses take control of me.

After a couple minutes I finally latch onto a scent that smells like home. That's what it's supposed to do. Make you think of the pack as 'home'. But sorry to break it to you, my home is wherever my heart is and my heart is certainly not with Kyle.

So I quickly run in the direction of the scent until I see lights behind the trees. Slowing my pace I poke my head out from behind a tree and see a modern, grey house situated in a clearing. My heart stops when I see Kyle pacing back a forth in a room about three stories up.

He seems pretty mad because he keeps on yelling at people and rubbing his brow. I can't help but feel an invisible rope tugging at my heart.

Pulling me towards him.

But then it hits me.

If I'm feeling that then he must be too.

Just as I had anticipated I saw him stop mid stride and I ducked back behind the tree just as he turned to look out the window. I wait until I can feel his presence diminishing, then I trod around the house, looking for a water source.
Finally, I spot a waterfall leading into a small circular pool of water. I can't help but stare at how the ripples in it's surface reflect the moon's light so perfectly. But just as I take a step towards it, hands grab onto my shoulders and my waist, pulling me back. I expect to see Kyle and his gang of bad boys but what I see is far more terrifying.

The hunters.

They take me deeper into the woods and tie me by my wrists to a tree branch. By this point I have released every swear word I know. They begin to circle me and I can feel the circulation being restricted in my wrists, leaving me unable to use my powers. I start to shift to coyote but someone slaps me. The strength immediately drains from my body and I hang limply. I then try finding enough brain power to mind control them but the second I try to open my mouth, he raises his hand and slaps me once more. A man in all black steps forward and laughs beneath his ski mask.

I feel my heart pounding as he pulls out a knife and walks towards me. In one swift motion he slices a shallow cut in my forearm. I scream a blood curdling shriek that slowly turns into a howl for help as he continues slicing shallow cuts in my arms, stomach, chest, legs and hips. By this point I don't have the strength to continue screaming and I feel myself slacken further into the ropes.

The last thing I see before the darkness clouds my mind, is blood, lots of it. But this time I'm not sure if it's mine...

****************

My eyelids slowly peel open to a blinding light. I groan and squint until my eyes gradually adjust. Surveying my surroundings I realise that I'm sitting in a big, white room and I'm lying on top of a starch white bed.

Where am I?

Then I hear a groan from beside my bed and notice that Kyle is sleeping in a chair next to me. Suddenly it all comes back to me.

The hunters.

The knife.

The blood...

He must have heard me and come to the rescue. But it still doesn't change the way I feel about him. I'm a lone wolf. Always will be...

I hear him start to stir as I realise that he will have questions.

Questions that I don't want to answer.

So I slide off the bed and climb out the window. I land in the backyard with ease.

I groan, realising that the sun had risen and my opportunity is over.

I'll just have to wait until tomorrow night...

Quickly running back to the school I grab my bag from the woods where I left it and run into my dorm room.

Not bothered to survey the room I climb into the unused bed and envelope myself in its silky sheets, secretly hoping to bury myself too deep for anything to reach me but my own thoughts...