²⁰ | m e t a n o i a

(n.) The journey of changing one's mind, heart, self or way of life.

) The journey of changing one's mind, heart, self or way of life

Zane looked at the discussing elves without interest. He knew how these discussions would go. They would go back and forth discussing one issue only. Not once in his life had he felt such a strong pull from anyone, and yet here he was eager to finish the dealings of the elves quickly. It was so un-elfin-like that if he pushed them to rush the discussions, they would know. He was not certain if they would be accepting of his human interest, but that would be his first mission. To know how they would react.

For now, he would tolerate such a laggard discussion for now to let himself dig deep into his memories. Of Raneem's scent still clinging to his unwashed clothes. They had kissed one last time before they left, and as always, she had left him with an unsatisfied, aching longing. He wanted more than her soft, pliant lips and her hot, wet mouth. Her soft, delicate body pressed against him had teased his senses into madness and it took every sense of being an elf to let go of her.

He had already taken from her once. When he closed his eyes and remembered, he could still feel her tight around his finger. He could only imagine what it would be like to have his throbbing ache inside her instead. The thought sent delightful shivers through him, but he knew from experience that with her, his imagination only limited him to what she could truly offer.

Zane knew he needed to be back and console whatever it was that was causing her to be embarrassed and flustered. He stomped down on the feelings she was sharing with him through the necklace and returned to the matter at hand.

"...In the end, it is the security of our race that must be of the greatest concern," the king said, "We do have not an assurance that allowing alliance would be better than the silent truce we had before this proposal."

Zane wanted to say something to that but he knew the king was not finished. He had been speaking for quite a while and the one issue about how many lives would be preserved by the alliance had dragged on for three days already. By the gods, he wanted to leave the lot of them and return into Raneem's arms!

"We have coexisted for so long without the spilling of blood. We have no use to change what works. Friendship with humans have only caused us grief and the lives of elves before. What is to say it will not happen again?"

"And what is to say the likes of Amira would not rise again?" Zane spoke out of turn in his impatience. All the elves in the council looked at him horrified. That anyone would speak out of turn was rude, but blocking the king's speech was quite unheard of. He knew it and he did not care. He looked at all the princes of the different clans. With his seat at Treliron, he was the second most powerful elf in the room next to the king and he was using that to his advantage. He had had enough of these elves and she-elves wasting their time talking. Now he knew why humans did everything so hastily. And he was certainly acting in haste.