²³ | a f t e r w o r d

(n.) the conclusion

WARNING: A little mature scene ahead

Twenty-four years a virgin and later tonight, she was going to give it up for Zane. She shivered at the thought looking out of the window. The day was amazing, as if the gods themselves were celebrating the renewed coming together of man and elf. Below, she could see lines of elves and men coming in together to witness the ceremony, and thankfully, both sides were putting an effort into making their first meeting in a thousand years hospitable.

The truth was, she could not wait to give herself to Zane. If it were anything close to her previous encounters with him, she wanted to jilt the whole wedding ceremony and jump into bed with him. They were as good as married anyway. The ceremony was nothing but a symbol to let the world know that they have pledged themselves to one another.

She plucked at her robe trying to banish such thoughts. If she kept on with it, she might just go into his room and forget all about the altar.

Stupid, Raneem! That's so stupid of you. Of course she could not just go into Zane's room! That would be too forward. Too eager. Besides, it would go against tradition for them to see each other. Although, she knew he would not mind her early visit.

"I never considered my queen to be anything but intelligent."

Zane's sultry voice and his breath on her ear made her jump and skitter to the side of the window. She held her hand to her chest, trying to calm her pounding heart. She did not even hear him approach! So her quick pulse was not exactly all due to his sudden appearance. Gods! His smile and his gorgeous face would arrest her heart just as quickly. And – oh, dear gods! – the shirt he was wearing was almost see through! "Do not frighten me like that! You stopped my heart!"

He closed the distance between them, cornering her to the wall. "I'm not quite certain surprise was all that stopped your heart."

Her eyes widened at him. Did he know how to read thoughts?

"You should not be here!" she said instead trying to distract herself from looking at his almost naked chest. Other than him, Lucas was the only other man she had seen with a bare chest and liege could not compare to master on that.

"And why not?" he cocked his head with that mischievous smile playing on his face. His eyes held a dark, heavy promise that made her knees so weak, she thanked the wall for supporting her weight.

"Tradition dictates that we should not see each other before the ceremony!"

"What for?" Zane asked putting one hand on the wall beside her head.

Fuck me! If he comes any closer it would be the end of me!

"Tradition!" she squeaked.

"Hmm...are we not past tradition already?" He placed his other hand on the other side of her head boxing her in. "We are getting married against tradition. And we enjoyed each other, short of completing the whole sexual union before marriage against tradition. Why be so concerned now?"