Chapter 4

HUMANS WERE BORN with their brains above their hearts, that alone should be irrefutable evolutionary and theological proof that one must choose logic over feelings. You've been taught this since childhood; that being able to think rationally in the face of overwhelming emotions was what set man from the other animals. Humans were superior in that they were able to resist their feral instincts. After all, as Rose Sayer puts it "Nature is what we are put in this world to rise above."

Yet even with that in mind, you couldn't stop yourself from thinking about Luciano, and when you did think of him—of his dark hair and charming smirk, you'd get lost in your own daydreams.

But he was a mobster; a man who sold illegal drugs and guns and people, a man who murdered others. How could you crush on someone like that?

"What about you, [Name]?" Allen's voice snapped your thoughts and you were reeled back to whatever conversation you were having.

"Food or sex?" Allen repeated.

Before you could reply, Arin slapped your back and cackled "Please, she's a virgin! That's an unfair question."

"Okay, skank, just 'cause I don't sleep around as much as you doesn't mean—" You stopped walking.

In front of your apartment door lay a bouquet of full bloom red roses.

"Ooh, a package. Must be from one of my suitors." Arin bent down to pick it up.

You crossed your arms "I thought you already found your true love in the form of the dazzling Antonio?"

"Didn't take." She unfolded the card attached to the bouquet "In the end we decided to see other people."

"What a surprise" Allen remarked, glancing at you.

You just shook your head.

Arin arched a brow at the card "Nurse? Who the Hell is Luciano V? Wait a minute. This isn't mine." Her blue eyes widened at you and her peach lips curled up mischievously "You tramp."

You snatched the paper from her. Allen peered over your shoulder and read along.

To my lovely nurse,

   I'm so sorry for the trouble I've caused you. Please accept this bouquet but I don't think it will ever be enough to express my gratitude. That aside, I really enjoyed talking to you.

   I hope to see you again soon.

   —Luciano 

"Our lovely little virgin princess has found herself a prince charming" Allen poked your cheek.

"Oh, my God, I can't believe it. When did you meet him? More importantly, why didn't you tell us sooner?" Arin demanded "And playing nurse? You naughty little thing, I never knew you were so kinky"

You didn't respond to either of them. You reread the letter, processing each word and piecing them together to make sure you weren't imagining this.

I hope to see you again. See you. Hope to. Again. See. You. Enjoyed talking to you.

The skin on your face was warm as your hand wrapped around your mouth to hide your growing smile. You just received flowers from a mobster, you weren't supposed to be giggling from excitement of meeting this guy for the second time.

Coincidentally, you didn't have to wait long, because the very next morning (a lazy Sunday) you saw him again outside your apartment, two men in black stood behind him like Pinkerton guards.