Rabid

This chapter is dedicated to Undefinedsoul for making my awesome book cover. Thanks a lot again. I love it :)

-Cole-

I ran away as fast as I could, I couldn't stand the sight of hurt that was radiating off him like a radioactive material. It was weakening my resolve wanting me...no begging me not to do this, not to leave him like that. But I pushed it away I was not going to put myself through that risk. I'm fine being on my own as I'm the only person I can trust to not leave. Well that's because you can't actually leave yourself but you get what I mean. 

I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I went deeper into the forest than I was aware of, initially my plan was to go along the border of where we were in the hopes that I would get out of the forest. However with my mind occupied my body seemed to have had a mind of it's own taking me deeper into the midst of the forest. Great...now how do I get out of here?

I looked to my right and all I saw was trees, I looked left more trees, everywhere I looked was just a wall of green and brown, trees standing as tall and imposing as soldiers barricading me in like a prisoner. I felt trapped. There was no path in sight no clear sign of an exit. At random I picked a direction to go and started walking blindingly heading for a unknown destination.

I was slowly making my way through the many bushes and broken tree branches in my way when I heard a rustling near by. I froze staring intently in the direction of the sound. Hearing nothing I put it down to paranoia and started walking again. This time I'm sure I heard something...it was a low growl. Panicking I started thinking of dangerous animals that lives in the forest and would like nothing better than to feed on ignorant idiots that should learn not to stray too far from civilisation. 

Checking off the list in my head mentally I picked up my speed walking faster now. 

Bears? no it didn't sound like a bear it was a smaller animal.

Tiger? now what the hell would a tiger be doing in the middle of a forest in North California.

My little banter with myself did not last long as there was no more need to guess the name of the animal lurking behind the trees. This was because I was staring at it. It was a wolf, and if that didn't seem to be scary enough, it was also rabid. Bloody hell I just can't get a break. 

The wolf was thrashing about and snapping at me, I've heard of this phase before it was the furious stage, one that stops all rational thoughts from being processed in the brain and leaves the animal behaving violently. This is the stage where they lose all fear of any natural enemies, this being proved that wolves don't normally hang around when humans are in sight and since this one looks like it wants to take a bite out of my leg, I guess it's safe to say that there is no fear whatsoever. 

I move to back up and go in the other direction as I was in no mood to be anyone's meal. I took a step back keeping my eyes on the now snarling wolf. Another step back, I lost my footing for a while and glance down only to look back up in time to see the wolf lunge at me. I let out a bloodcurdling scream as I tried to move out the way. 

My leg got caught and I went down, the rabid animal landing in front of me. I saw a fallen branch from a near by tree and used it as my makeshift weapon and clambered the wolf across the muzzle. This was not a good thing for me to do in the position that I was in and all that was achieved was him getting more angry and hitting the branch out of my hand before swiping a paw across my cheek.