Chapter 1: Rehearsal

The 2016-2017 season is officially over. Now it's time for ice shows and pre-season preparation. Just because Yuzuru isn't competing doesn't mean I stop working. I feel like my job never stops as long as I'm with him. I don't mind as it gives me something to do and I'm with my boyfriend all the time, but I don't see how I'm really needed right now. All of his ice shows are in Japan, so he has no need for an interpreter. It's more like I'm taking vacation with him.

I'm still taking summer courses, all online of course. I'm sure Yuzuru could do without me if he doesn't even need Coach Brian here. It feels like I'm on an extended vacation, but I still brought my job with me. I'll have fun watching the ice shows as Yuzuru made sure I get front row tickets to every event he is doing, but I know he's still under my care as I have to make sure he still eats properly and doesn't overexert himself. My job just doesn't seem to end, does it?

Being at the rehearsals for the Fantasy on Ice shows is a bit more chaotic than I thought it would be. Here I am at the side of the ice reading through my different language books as I prepare for some exams online. When I get back to Canada, I have to speak with a counselor at school about my future plans. At some point, I'd like to attend physical classes, but that doesn't seem practical at the moment.

"Mai, Mai," I hear a voice call out to me. "Watch this!"

I look over at the rink to see Yuzuru and Javier having a quad battle. Miki, who is also participating in the show, skates over to me as we watch our boyfriends make fools out of themselves. She looks at me and we both shake our heads.

"What are you reading, Mai?" Miki asks me as I turn back to my Japanese language textbook.

"I'm just reviewing Japanese. I like to make sure that I'm still using the language correctly." I explain to her, showing the title of the textbook. "And what better place to go it than in Japan?"

"That's great. I think it's wonderful how knowledgeable you are about our language. Especially since you use it so frequently with Yuzuru and all."

"I never thought I would use it so much before I became Yuzuru's translator. But I'm glad I'm putting it to use. I knew I would eventually."

"Are you learning any other languages?"

"I'm learning Spanish, which Javi is helping me out with. And also French. And currently I'm working on Korean. I've been going back and forth with Jun Hwan Cha, back at the club. He always blushes when I speak to him in Korean."

"Aw... He is a little cutie. That's good that you can use Korean with him. I'm sure everyone can appreciate you learning so many languages. But how does school work if you're with Yuzuru all the time?"

"I take all online classes. I'd like to take physical classes so I can speak with other students, but at least I have people around me that I can use the languages on."

"Don't you think you're missing out on the whole college experience?"

"I'm doing the exact thing as Yuzuru and he doesn't mind not being able to attend classes. I guess that's the price we pay with what we're doing."

"You're quite the amazing girl, Mai. I got to give you that. So understanding and so committed."

"Thank you, Miki. I'd like to talk to you more, but I think a certain someone needs you."

Just as I say that, Javier comes over and pulls Miki away so they can practice their exhibition skate. Yuzuru comes by with Shoma and joins me in the chairs by the ice. I'm sitting on the floor with all the different books spread across different chairs.

"You didn't watch my quads," Yuzuru whines, clutching Pooh-San, who he sat beside my books.

"Well excuse me if I wanted to have a conversation with Miki," I reply back with a bit of sass. I look over at Shoma, who just skated up. "Hello Shoma, how are you today?"

"I'm doing well," Shoma replies back shyly. "Studying hard?"

"Hard enough I suppose, but I enjoy it all."

"Are you just going to ignore me?" Yuzuru butts in.

"I've had enough of you," I say sarcastically. "We spent enough time together in Sendai."

"Not enough time," Yuzuru grumbles under his breath.

"I heard that, mister, and I don't want any grumpiness or pouting out of you."

Shoma laughs at our conversation and returns  to the ice. Yuzuru sit on the floor with me. He takes the book I am holding out of my hand and leans forward to kiss me. I'm surprised to have him be so bold where a lot of people can see him. And he doesn't leave. He tries to deepen the kiss when he's called back to the ice.

"Come on, my friend!" Javier calls out to Yuzuru, making the latter pull away from me. "We all can't play kissy face with our girlfriends all day."

Yuzuru pulls away from me with a pout on his face.

"Can't I have one second with my girlfriend?" He mutters to himself before heading back to the ice. He waves goodbye to me and I wave back.

I grab the book that was taken out of my hand and continue reading it again. Each skater goes through a rotation to practice their exhibition skates. Then they all come together to practice group numbers. It's fun watching all the skaters do programs that are purely for fun. Some are even debuting their programs for the next seasons, like Yuzuru. He won't tell me as he wants it to be a surprise. I did a lot of research on Yuzuru after I took the job and I'm not sure which programs he will be using for this upcoming season. There's a lot for him to choose from. But I know he'll push forward to hold the title, seeing as a lot of people are gunning for the top of the podium.