Chapter 24: Apartments

With Yuzuru getting ready for the next season, my attention has been split between school, work, and finding the right apartment. At one point, Yuzuru suggested the apartment complex he lives at, but the location was too far from my school for my liking. On his days off, Yuzuru has joined me looking at some apartments. He's actually joining me today to look at an apartment.

We walk up to a nice looking apartment complex. It doesn't look brand new, but it doesn't look old and rundown either. It was exactly in the middle of the TCC and my school. I' m hoping this place was the one. We meet my realtor, Marvin, in front of the apartment we're meant to look at.

"Hi Marie. I see you brought your boyfriend with you today," Marvin greets us as he shakes both of our hands. "Hello Yuzuru."

"Hello Marvin," I reply happily. "I'm so excited about this place. You said I would love it, so I'm ready to fall in love."

"I have a feeling you'll be head over heels in love with it. Let me just run you through the things I've told you previously. It's partly furnished, one bedroom, one bathroom. The living room is completely furnished. The bedroom has a dresser and built-in desk in the room, so you will have to provide your own bed frame and mattress. The bathroom is a full bath, containing a bath tub and shower head. It's a one year lease with monthly payments of $1,500 dollars. You will need to provide proof of employment, your visa or residency card, and first and last months rent. You are not required to pay a security deposit. Upon signing the lease, you'll receive two sets of keys.  A key for your apartment and a key for your mailbox. You get one assigned parking space. There is guest parking at the side of the apartment, but it's first come, first serve. If you love it, we can sign the paper today and pay the rent as well."

"That sounds great. I'm so excited to look at it."

Marvin takes out a set of keys and opens up the front door. As we step into the apartment, Marvin flicks on the lights. I stare in awe at my surroundings. The furniture has a theme of cream and navy blue. The couch looks soft and inviting. There is an entertainment center with a place to put a tv. We walk through the kitchen. It's small, but it's just enough for me to cook for myself and Yuzuru when he comes over. There are no kitchen utensils, cutlery, or tableware, but I can go shopping for that. There is already a fridge and a microwave. There is a four burner stove. Plenty of cabinet space.

"Let's move on to the bedroom, shall we?" Marvin beckons as he leads us to the main event.

I look at Yuzuru with a huge smile. I'm pretty sure I'm going snatch up this apartment. I already know how I'm going to decorate it and make it my own place. I'm already so excited.
We enter the room and I'm sold. The room has cream colored walls. I see the built-in desk next  to the window in a corner. There is a chestnut dresser in the center of the wall next to the door. I can see the space where a bed will go. I think I'll also get a night stand so I set a lamp next to the bed. We walk through the apartment one more time with Marvin pointing out little things here and there. I'm bursting at the seams to sign the lease already.

Outside the apartment, Marvin looks at me with an expecting smile. I match his expression. Yuzuru looks content with the situation.

"So what's the plan?" Marvin ask me knowingly.

"Where do I sign?" I retort with a grin.

"I will take you to the leasing office now."

I turn to Yuzuru as we walk behind Marvin. "I can't believe I'm going to have my first apartment. This is so exciting," I say happily.

"This will be nice for you," Yuzuru replies back.

"I'm going to need to hire some movers and go to IKEA. Oh! I need to finish packing!"

"Will you be taking days off?"

"I might have to. I'll see if I can align things up with your days off. I might just have to leave right after work."

"Will you be going to the Autumn Classic with me?"

"I'll probably be able to go to that. I don't think this is going to take that long."

Yuzuru looks content with himself as we arrive to the leasing office. I know how much it means to him to have me at competitions now so I know I need to make sure I finish moving in time. I just can't wait to have a place to myself. Yuzuru can come over any time he wants and we don't have to feel weird having his mother there or feeling weird in the house my father bought for us. It feels like I'm progressing in life and I'm ready for anything to come my way.

Marvin introduces me to the apartment manager, a lady named Jennifer. We go over every piece of paperwork for renting the apartment. We go over the payment schedule, rules of the apartment, the parking permit, and everything in between. I pull out my checkbook to write out my first two month's rent as well as the payment for my parking permit.

"So, is your boyfriend going to live with you?" Jennifer asks casually as she glances between Yuzuru and I.

A shocked expression goes across our face at the mention of the question. Yuzuru and I have definitely talked about the subject but we decided to wait till we were married before committing to something so big. It still shocks us to hear someone ask that question.

"Oh no. He just came to look at the apartment with me," I explain simply.

"How supportive," Jennifer comments happily. "Well, I just have to process all of the information, but I can hand you the keys to your apartment."

"That's so great!"

Jennifer hands me a set of 3 key and a clicker. "One key for your apartment, one for your mailbox, and one key for the gate. And this is the clicker for the car gate. It's normally open during the day, but it'll close around 7 pm."

"Great! I'm so excited."

"Welcome to the complex!"

After leaving the leasing office, I thank Marvin for all of his help. He leaves and Yuzuru and I walk back to my apartment to map out how I'll move in. I unlock the door and walk into the semi-empty apartment. I'm already so excited to start living here. I turn to Yuzuru with a large grin on my face. What a huge step into the future.