Chapter 13: King

Yuzuru is skating third to last in the final group of skaters for the men's individual free skate. Javier and Shoma skate after him. This skate will determine whether or not Yuzuru gets to keep his title of Olympic champion. And I am a nervous wreck. I'm hopping all around the workout room waiting for Yuzuru's time to take the ice. It's like one of the skaters warming up before taking the ice. He's mentally and physically preparing for the skate of his life. I watch as Yuzuru does his weird stretches to get ready. I still don't get why he does them, but that's just him I suppose.

I see Javier doing some regular stretches. He's slated to be the first Spaniard to ever get a medal in figure skating. I'm excited to see that happen. But then this will be his last Olympics. I'm sad to hear about him leaving Canada to go back to Spain, but it's not like he's meant to stay in Canada forever. I know that's something Yuzuru has been avoiding thinking about. Javier is his rock and his drive to be a better skater. I don't know what it will be like without him, but that's a thought for another day.

When it's time for Yuzuru to take the ice for his free skate, I am practically shaking. I hid behind Coach Brian and peek over his shoulder. Coach Brian laughs and pats the hand I've placed on his shoulder to help myself peek over. I can barely stand to witness this free skate. Boyang Jin is currently in first place but that can change once Yuzuru starts skating. Halfway through, it looks like Yuzuru is doing great. I let go of Coach Brian and begin walking down the isle. Yuzuru is nailing everything. It's going as well as it can at this point. I shout excitedly as the program wind downs. Jump after jump, spin after spin, step sequences, and choreography looks flawless. I may not know everything there is to know about the technical aspects of figure skating, but Yuzuru looks like he's doing everything he can do to the best capacity.

Once Yuzuru strikes his finally pose, tears stream down my face. Coach Brian hugs me to his side and tells me we have to hear the score first before the tears should flow. The rain of Pooh come down like it always does when Yuzuru finishes his programs. Yuzuru skates over the exit where Coach Brian and I are standing at. He throws his arms out and has the most excited look on his face. Nothing could take this moment away from him. He hugs Coach Brian first before hugging me. He wipes my tears away before saying we need to hear the score first. I laugh and tell him that's exactly what Coach Brian said to me.

Coach Brian waits at the side since Javier still need to skate. Coach Ghislain comes and sits with us. Sitting in the Kiss & Cry, we wait patiently for Yuzuru's score. I can only imagine what's running through Yuzuru's head. I'm nervous for him. Yuzuru holds onto my hand as tightly as he can without hurting me. Then the announcer comes in.

"Yuzuru has received a score of 206.17 for the free skate. He has a total score of 317.85. He is currently in first place," the announcer's voice booms around the stadium.

I look over at Yuzuru and he's in mild shock. I can't tell if there are tears coming out of his eyes or just the sweat on his face. That score is another Olympic record. He's going to be hard to beat. I kiss him on the cheek before prodding him to leave the Kiss & Cry as Javier takes the ice. I shuffle him to the backstage so he can sit in the room for the athletes, where they wait to find out their placing.

Yuzuru is in the waiting room with Nathan Chen and Boyang Jin watching the screen as Javier takes the ice. I'm in the next room over as I'm not allowed to be in that room with the athletes. The event is about to end. There is a small tv showing the stadium and Shoma is still on the ice. Yuzuru is still in first with Javier sitting in second. Javier passes by the room I'm in and sees me. He comes in to give me a hug, which I happily give back. I congratulate him and his performance. He is guaranteed a medal, but Shoma will determine which one that will be. Javier moves on to the next room.

On the screen, Shoma receives his score. He's knocked Javier out of second and into third. Yuzuru maintains his place in first. He's done it. I hear sobbing in the next room. I move to the door, but do not enter. There I see Yuzuru failing at chocking back his sobs. He sees me in the doorway and smiles as best as he can with the tears mingling with the sweat that is still on his face. I smile at him and blow him a kiss. Shoma enters the room as Yuzuru gets up and hugs him. He hugs Javier as well. Shoma's coach comes in and takes Shoma away. As they pass by, I congratulate them. I turn back to the room to see Coach Brian now in the room and sharing a heartfelt hug with his boys. Coach Brian breaks the hug momentarily to beckon me over. I happily comply, moving to join the hug. I'm situated between Coach Brian and Yuzuru. I peck Yuzuru on the cheek as the tears continue their trek down his face.

"You did it," I whisper in his ears. He smiles staring at the floor. "You are the reigning Olympic Champion. Congratulations, king."