Chapter 7: Records

I admire Yuzuru as he gets into costume for the short program for the Autumn Classic. Chopin will take him where he needs to go, but he just needs to work on that lutz of his. I love the colors in the Chopin costume. No one can pull off gradients like Yuzuru can. Yuzuru looks over his shoulder to look at me.

"Mai, can you help me zip up the back?" Yuzuru asks pointing to the back of his costume.

I comply as I zip and latch the back of his shirt so that was it doesn't come undone during his performance. I also tuck in his necklaces even though they'll just come out while he's skating. I walk Yuzuru out once he's ready so he can attend the six minute warm up. Yuzuru walks out from behind the curtain. The crowd spots him and they start cheering. I see all of the Yuzuru banners and Japan flags being held up for him.

Yuzuru makes sure to hold my hand as he walks over to the group of men waiting for their six minutes warm up. I know Yuzuru is a bit nervous to put out these old programs, but I know the audience will love it either. I converse with Javi and Misha before they get onto the ice. Once it's time, Yuzuru hands me his skate guards and steps onto the ice. I step over to Coach Brian's side as we watch all of the men make their rounds on the ice. Yuzuru tries to conserve as much energy as possible as he prepares for his short program. It's long before the six minute warm up is over and it's time for the first skater of the group to start. I lead Yuzuru back through the curtains till it's time for him to skate. I know he doesn't want to watch his competition. Even if they are his friends. He jumps around to shake off the nervous energy. Coach Brian is talking him through his program and pep talking him at the same time. I just stand off to the side talking with Coach Tracy. They all want their students to do well this season, but there is only so much they can control.

When it's time for Yuzuru to skate, I take his skate guards once again and move to the side of the rink near the exit leading to the Kiss and Cry. I watch as he talks to Coach Brian for a bit and then moves to center ice. Then the music starts.

I am always so amazed when I watch Yuzuru skate. There is something about the way he moves that captures my attention like no other. He brings his whole body into his movements and tries to leave nothing on the table. And this season he has so much to prove. He wants to retain that Olympic title. One that he nor anyone from Japan thought he would hold. But he has is and he has to keep hold of it before someone else tries to take it. But he has qualities that his competitors don't have. He has elegance and power on the ice. No one is like Yuzuru on the ice. It's hard to even compare him to anyone else. I have such high hopes for this season before the Olympics. But I don't know what this Grand Prix season will bring. Anything will happen. I just hope it's all good.

Once Yuzuru is done skating, he comes off the ice and I hand him his skate guards. He doesn't look too happy about his performance, but it did look great out there. Yuzuru heads to the Kiss and Cry with Coach Brian and Coach Tracy. I stand off to the side patiently like always. Yuzuru gets his score and everyone is shocked. He just broke his own short program record! Everyone in the Kiss and Cry cheer for Yuzuru and I cheer for him as well. Then Yuzuru and his coaches leave the Kiss and Cry and head back stage. I carry Yuzuru's Pooh-San and his backpack to his dressing room in the back.

"That was amazing, Yuzuru!" I exclaim once we're in his dressing room.

"It was good, but could have been better," Yuzuru answers back with a half smile.

I chuckle at his half hearted response. He's already so hard on himself after breaking his own record. I gather all his things so we can leave for the press conference. I know the media are going to be asking questions about the Olympics. Everyone wants to ask about the Olympics. Let's just hope the pressure isn't too much for Yuzuru.