Chapter 9: Injury

It happened so fast I didn't know what to think about it. It didn't seem like Yuzuru was injured when he can back to where I was standing with his coach that was stepping in while Coach Brian was healing from his surgery. He limped a little, but shook it off. But after that, his skating wasn't the same. He didn't attempt any jumps. He sort of just skated around and through his free program. It wasn't till we got him checked out by his personal doctor did we find out the severity of the situation. He gave Yuzuru the night to see how his ankle would be once the morning came. If it wasn't good by then, he would have to drop out. And I know just the thought of that kills him.

Yuzuru uses my lap as a pillow as we relax in his hotel room. His supervising coach is dealing with the press and talking with his doctor. I remain by his side as he tries to not think about the situation at hand. Yuzuru practically begged me to stay in his room tonight. I couldn't refuse him. I run my fingers through his hair to sooth his nerves. Just looking at the amount of ice wrapped around his ankle, it doesn't look too good for Yuzuru.

"What am I supposed to do if I can't compete tomorrow?" Yuzuru asks with fear in his voice, something I rarely ever hear from him.

"Well, we would have to follow whatever the doctor advises you to do. But this could mean you won't make it to the Grand Prix Final," I reply softly. I've never seen Yuzuru be so fragile before. I just want all of this to go away.

Yuzuru buries his face deep into my lap as if he's trying to avoid the words I just said, but it's true. Yuzuru won't have the points to make it to the Grand Prix Final since he most likely not able to compete here. This injury could put him out for the whole season. Maybe all the way to the Olympics. But Yuzuru will persevere. I know he wants to get on top of that podium once again.

"I won't maintain my title of Grand Prix champion," Yuzuru murmurs sadly.

"I know, but your health is the most important thing right now," I remind him as I gaze at the television. I place it on a channel that was playing anime. I wanted to avoid any news channels for Yuzuru's sake. I didn't even dare look at my phone. The fans are probably going crazy online.

"What if I can't even compete at nationals? Or the Olympics? I can't believe this is happening to me!"

I frown at Yuzuru's dismay. This is quite hard on him. I've never been around him when he's injured and it's almost like he's a completely different person. He's not the same confident and strong skater that everyone thinks he is. He's fragile and weak. This side of him, it's very scary. He wants to compete and move on to the next competition, but it doesn't look like he'll have that opportunity. The Olympics are only a few months away. An injury like this will make it even harder for him get back to that podium.

"You can power through this. So what if you can't make it to the Grand Prix Final? What's really important is you getting better and then getting back out in the ice in time for the Olympics. This is not an injury that will just work itself out. You'll probably have to do some physical therapy and be away from the ice for awhile. You heard what your doctor said. This won't put you out of the game forever, but if you don't take care of this properly, it will. You will rise out of this like I know you can. Sure we'll have to fly under the radar for a while. Give limited information out, stay inside more, but it's not the end of the world," I tell him trying to sound as strong as possible. When one of us is weak, the other one has to be strong. There is no way I was going to let Yuzuru down. He needs my support.

Yuzuru sits up and looks at me. I give him a soft smile. I reach my hand up to stroke his cheek in comfort. He leans his face against my hand. He closes his eyes as I continue my soothing movement.

"What are you going to do while I'm healing? You can't really be my translator while I'm recovering," Yuzuru points out.

"I still have school to busy myself with. And I'll be by your side regardless of whether you need translating or not. It's not like I can just go off and be someone else's translator. That's not how my job works."

"This going to be hard, isn't it?"

"Well, not to be cliche, but no one ever said it would be easy. Especially with so many competitions happening and the Olympics coming faster than we all think, there is a lot going on. But that shouldn't discourage us."

"Why are you so strong and level headed right now?"

"Because I am your rock when you need me. This isn't just about a job anymore. I made the commitment to being with you and supporting you no matter what. Through injury and failure, I will be by your side. I love you and I'll support you through thick and thin."

Yuzuru pulls his face away from my hand and smiles at me. He lies down and pulls me with him. We're facing each other. Yuzuru gives me a very faint smile and I'll take it. He pulls me into his body so my head is resting on his chest. I listen to his steady heart beat and relax into him.

"I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I will cherish you till I cannot. I don't know where I would be right now if you were not by my side. I love you too. Thank you for continuing to support me through everything I go through. You are too amazing for words."

I pull my head away from Yuzuru's chest to look up at him. He's staring ahead with tears at the corners of his eyes. I reach up to wipe them away.

"Don't worry, Yuzu. We will get through this together and we will come out of it as strong as ever. This isn't the end, just a rocky beginning. No one will be ready for you when you're fully ready and healed. Pag may tiyaga, may nilaga*. You shall persevere."

————————————————————————
Foreign words:
Pag may tiyaga, may nilaga: If you persevere, you will reap the fruits of your labor.