Let's Play a Game (5)

“You can’t tell anyone about the game that we’re playing,” I warned Zach as I now pushed him out of my room. “You can’t tell anyone at all, not even your friends. And you definitely can’t tell my dad or your family at all.”

Zach rolled his eyes at me. “And why not? My mom absolutely adores you, my dad and sister love you, and Ethan… Well, I don’t think Ethan likes anything, really.”

“It’s not like we’re dating or anything,” I snapped, the thought of actually dating him making me sick to my stomach. “I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up. It’s not like any kind of serious relationship is in our future anyway.”

“Oh, how much you hurt me, Maxxy,” Zach smirked, placing a hand over his heart, feigning hurt. ‘”You don’t think we could ever get married?”

I shot him a flat look. “No. Not ever.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if one day his face got permanently stuck smirking. And then hopefully people would slap him because they thought he was being insensitive, which he usually was anyway…

“Well, everyone’s downstairs right now…” Zach grinned, taking a step toward me and it took all my willpower not to take a step away. I had to remember that we were playing a game… It wasn’t like he was my boyfriend or anything, and I definitely wasn’t his girlfriend. “How about we officially start this game now?”

I gulped, not knowing what I was supposed to say to that. I had been the one to suggest this game, but now that it was time to really start, I was getting cold feet.

“Maxynn,” a new voice suddenly said, and I nearly jumped before pushing Zach away and looking over to see my father. “I need to talk to you about something.”

I glanced over at Zach, who suddenly stood straight and proper, surprising me greatly. Did he act this way around all adults? He sure didn’t act like this in front of any of the teachers at our school…

He started off downstairs, and I couldn’t help but wonder why he was acting so strangely. Was it because of the game that we were now playing? That had to be it. Zach was the kind of guy that would tell everyone who he had been with and what he had done with them.

“What do you have to tell me, Dad?” I questioned, watching as Zach made his way down the stairs.

“I wanted to tell you that I have to leave the day after your mother’s funeral,” my father informed me solemnly.

“What do you mean?” I snapped, not believing what my father had just said to me. “What do you mean you’re going on a business trip after mom’s funeral?”

“It means exactly what it sounds,” my father said now. “I’m needed the day after your mother’s funeral, so I’m going to have to leave afterwards.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. He was actually going to leave me all alone at Zach’s house? Especially after I had suggested the game only the day before? He didn’t know about it, but… still!

“For how long?” I swallowed now, feeling like I was about to choke on absolutely nothing. “How long are you going to be gone for? We just moved into this place and you’re just leaving like that?”

I understood that it was for his job, but that didn’t mean I was happy about anything that he was saying. I was angry that he was leaving so soon after my mother’s funeral, and I was angry that he was leaving me alone in a place that I didn’t belong. He was just leaving me with Zach and his family like it was no big deal at all…

“It’s anywhere from a few weeks to a few months,” he informed me quietly, so quietly that I barely even heard him.

I thought I was going to faint. Not only had I lost my mother, but it was like I was losing my father as well! How could he just leave after everything that had happened? How could he just leave when I was as fragile as I was? It wasn’t fair!