Let's Play a Game (26)

“Let’s go to the beach!” Kate grinned at me the second she walked into my house on Saturday. She was fully showing now, so I didn’t know if it was the greatest idea if she went to the beach. “Come on, Maxynn! It’ll be fun!”

“I agree,” Zach piped up from the couch before I could deny anything, and I glared at him for taking her side. Zach was the only other person that knew why I couldn’t wear a swimsuit, and I knew that he was nice enough not to make me go when I wasn’t comfortable.

“You have to go, Maxynn,” Kate nearly whined now, not even letting me say no because she knew what I was going to say. “I already invited everyone else to go and they’re on their way over! So you have to!”

This was one of the reasons why I hated Kate for being the exact opposite of me. She did things without thinking first, while I thought too much. She knew there was no way I was going to go unless plans had already been made.

So I agreed, knowing there was no way I was going to be able to get myself out of this. But instead of changing into a bikini like all the other girls were, I decided to wear a low cut top with sleeves, and then short shorts as well. I might have had a problem with my arm, but I definitely didn’t have a problem with my legs.

Brianna drove us all to the beach in her van, but unfortunately Ethan had to come along for the ride as well. There wasn’t enough room in the car for all of us, so Aveline forced herself to sit on Zach’s lap. I had to force myself to act like it didn’t bother me at all.

But the worst part about the entire ride was that Ethan was there with us. The entire time he would sneak in this snide comments about me that made Aveline laugh as she continued to sit on Zach’s lap.

“Bye-bye, Maxynn!” Ethan cried out the window, once I got out of the car. “Don’t get pregnant!”

I looked back at him and glared, thinking that what he said would bother Kate, but she just laughed like she had the entire time in the car.

“I like him,” Aveline giggled when she saw how annoyed I was. “He should stay here with us!”

Ethan grinned at me when he saw my eyes widen at this suggestion. I already knew what he was going to say.

“Okay,” he said as he hopped out of the van. “I’ll stay.”

Great. This just got even worse.

Johnny, Zach, Aveline, and Logan all immediately jumped into the water almost immediately while I sat down on a towel with Kate and Todd. I didn’t know where Ethan went, but I was fine as long as he wasn’t anywhere near me.

“Maxynn, get in the water before I throw you in!” Zach cried out to me after about fifteen minutes went by, and he was actually able to hit the water hard enough so it would splash me.

“No!” I rejected. “I’m perfectly fine where I am!”

“But you swim in Zach’s pool!” Logan told me, as he swam right by.

I felt my eye twitch. “I was pushed in and fully clothed. I didn’t exactly swim.”

“Well, can you at least come get the volleyball out of the water?” Johnny asked me as he pointed at the volleyball that was going in and out with the tide. “We’re going to play later, so we don’t want it wet.”

I let out a sigh, pushing myself up from my spot and making my way over to the water. I made sure that Zach was nowhere near me as I bent over to pick up the ball.

“Sneak attack!” a new voice now cried out, and I let out a shout as someone tackled me down into the water. I rolled over in the wet sand to see that it was Ethan, who stuck his tongue out at me before diving out into the water.