Let's Play a Game (28)

“You…” was all I was able to utter at first. “You… lost?”

At first, I didn’t understand what he was saying. Well, maybe I did at first, but the general shock that I felt confused me so much that everything blanked. I just didn’t know what I was supposed to say to him because I didn’t even know what he had said to me.

“The game, Maxynn,” Zach sighed, and I could tell he stopped himself from rolling his eyes. “I lost the game. I love you.”

All I could do was stare at him at first, because this was the last thing I ever expected to hear from him. Zachary Deveraux had actually lost the game. After all the times we had both said we weren’t going to lose, it happened. We had both lost the game.

“You love me?” I asked, just to make sure I wasn’t hearing things.

He grinned at me. “I love you.”

“Zach,” I sniffed, feeling more tears escape from my eyes. “I… I love you, too!”

He looked genuinely shocked, but this didn’t stop me from wrapping my arms around his neck and squeezing him tightly. Sid was still unconscious, and since I no longer heard grunts from fighting, I assumed that Tommy was unconscious as well. That meant we were going to have to get out of there as quickly as possible, before they woke up.

But even though I was thinking this, Zach and I still didn’t move from where we were, and Johnny and Logan both didn’t interrupt us like I thought they might have. We just continued to stay in the same spot, just holding each other as if we were never going to see each other ever again.

Zach then pulled away from me as he suddenly said, “Let’s get married.”

This time, all I could really do was just stare at him because I really thought that I had heard him wrong. The last thing Zachary Deveraux would ever do was ask me to marry him, especially at the age that we both were.

“What?” I gulped, not able to say anything else but that for a few seconds. “Are you serious? You have to be joking with me. Zach, we’re still in high school!”

“So?” he shrugged, suddenly picking me up from the chair and throwing me over his shoulder before turning toward his two best friends. “Johnny, Logan! We’re getting out of here before these goons wake up!”

I didn’t protest as the three of them began running, me bouncing up and down on Zach’s shoulder, but I was still in shock from what he had just said to me. I didn’t even know if I had even given him an answer yet or not.

Zach nearly threw me into the back of a car, him getting in right behind me while Johnny jumped into the driver’s seat and Logan jumped into the passenger’s. It felt like an action movie, and I would have thought that it was so cool if I hadn’t just been terrified for my life. Before any of us could even say anything, Johnny sped right out of there without a second thought.

I was now finally able to breathe, everything that had just happen leaving my mind for only a few seconds. I was finally able to calm down, and it felt amazing to be able to do so.

“How did you guys even know where I was?” I asked after Johnny slowed down just a little, now that we were far away from the warehouse and safe from harm.

“We knew because Kate told us the van had an S on the back of it,” Logan informed me with a shrug as he repositioned himself in the passenger’s seat. “We knew that there was a warehouse with an S on it, so we went there hoping that that’s where you’d be, which it was.”

I bit the inside of my lip before saying, “What the hell is that S supposed to mean?”

Johnny shrugged. “Nothing comes to mind for me.”