Let's Play a Game (15)

When my friends saw me practically naked wrapped up in Zach's coat, him behind me holding my wet clothes, all they could do was stare at us for a moment.

"It’s not what you think,” I informed them flatly, relieved when I saw that Kate and Logan were both there, safe from the blizzard outside. "I got stuck out in the storm."

Kate gasped, but I only walked up the stairs to the room I was going to be staying in. Without even looking at my scars, I wrapped my arm up in the gauze that I had brought with me just in case. I then changed into dry clothes, not even caring about how my hair looked once I was done.

There was a knock on the door right when I finished changing, and I made sure my sleeve looked alright before calling out, "Come in."

The door opened to reveal Johnny, which made me feel just a little bit nervous. I didn’t know what he was going to say to me about everything that had happened.

"Why did you go off on your own?" Johnny frowned, looking worried that I was somehow hurt, even though I looked and felt absolutely fine. "When we all saw that you were the only one not here, we went and looked for you."

"I'm guessing Aveline didn't care," I couldn't help but mutter, not even answering his question at first.

Johnny gave me a look, not even having to speak to answer my question. He now waited for me to answer his question instead.

"Todd and I thought Logan and Kate were missing, so we went out to search for them," I answered with a shrug, turning away from him and to the suitcase on my bed. I made sure my gauze was well hidden as I sifted through my suitcase for nothing in particular. I just couldn't face Johnny right then for some reason.

"Logan and Kate were at the store getting dinner for all of us," Johnny informed me now, and I heard him take a step toward me, but this still didn't get me to turn around. "They were both perfectly fine. It's a good thing that Todd got back to the cabin before the blizzard could really start up."

So they had been safe the entire time. I was so glad, because I knew I'd never be able to forgive myself if anything had happened to the two of them and I wasn't able to do anything about it. I would have felt horrible.

When arms wrapped around my waist from behind, I jumped only a little bit in surprise. Johnny then buried his face into shoulder, neither of us saying a word. We both just stayed silent as he continued to hold me.

I could feel his chest raise and fall against my back. It was completely silent in the room, the only sound being the faint voices from our friends downstairs.

"I was so worried," he murmured into my shoulder, and I still said nothing. "Todd told us how you guys went out to look for Logan and Kate, who were in the cabin with us. All the guys went out to look for you. I was scared that you were out there, freezing to death. I was so... so worried."

"I'm fine," I tried to smile, even though he couldn't see my face. "Zach got me before it was too late. I'm here now, aren't I? Everything's okay."

"But I didn't know if you were going to be okay or not," he began, his grip on me tightening. "And I'm angry. I'm angry that you went out there without me and I'm angry that Zach found you and I didn't. I'm angry that he kissed you in the pool and that he still hits on you even though we're dating. I'm angry that you live in the same house as him. I'm just angry at him."

"Johnny," I swallowed. "Nothing... nothing's going on between Zach and me."

And in a way, it was the truth. Everything that was going on between Zach and me was purely physical, and it wasn’t the same as what Johnny and I had. The relationship Johnny and I had was emotional, which was something I'd never be able to have with Zach.