Let's Play a Game (17)

Waiting was absolutely killing me. Minutes felt like hours, and I couldn’t even imagine what Kate must have been feeling about this entire thing. It would have been so much worse if I was in her situation.

When the bathroom door opened, I nearly jumped right out of my skin. Kate stepped out of the bathroom, looking up at me with worried eyes.

“Well?” I asked, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear.

Kate let out a sigh, and I could see the test in her hands. “I don’t know yet. It says we have to wait for a couple of minutes.”

I quickly rushed her into my room, not wanting the boys downstairs to hear what we were saying. Luckily both Brianna and Steve were at work, and Elizabeth was still at her class, so we didn’t have to worry about them.

“What am I going to do if it’s positive?” Kate wondered out loud, placing the test on my desk before pretty much pacing all around the room. “What am I going to do? Of course I’m going to keep it, but I’d be having it before we graduate. What would everyone in school think? I can’t remember anyone getting pregnant the entire time I’ve been in high school.”

“I heard someone named Erica Sanchez got pregnant by her boyfriend when she was a junior or senior,” I told her, remembering the things people would tell me when I had first come to the school. “So it’s not like you’ll be the first one in the entire school’s history. The school’s been around for a long time.”

Kate waved that away. “I was a freshman when that rumor came out. In all honesty, I don’t even know if it’s true or not. All I know about that girl and her boyfriend is that they broke up because she cheated on him or something.”

I shrugged. “Whatever, it doesn’t matter. Is the test done yet?”

Kate stopped pacing beside my desk, letting out a deep breath before snatching up the test in her hand. She didn’t look down at it, and I waited to see what she was going to do. As much as I wanted to see the results, I wasn’t going to rush her.

She finally looked down at the test, and I continued to wait for her reaction. At first, she just stared at it without any type of reaction at all, but after a few moments, she dropped the test on the ground and started crying.

I didn’t ask her what the test said, because I already knew it. Kate was going to have a baby.

“What am I supposed to tell Logan?” she sobbed, wiping at her eyes as the test continued to stay on my carpet. “I don’t know how he’s going to react to something like this! We’re together and everything, but he’s never said anything that would make me think that we’re officially boyfriend or girlfriend or anything!”

I stood up from my seat on my bed, picking up the test carefully and placing it in her hand. She looked at me with watery eyes, and all I did was lean forward and wrap my arms around her shoulders tightly.

“I’ll be here for you,” I assured her, letting her cry into my shoulder as she hugged me back. “Whatever you plan on doing, I’m going to be here for you every step of the way. I’ll even be there when you tell Logan, okay?”

Kate pulled away from me, wiping at her eyes with her free hand. “Okay. Thank you so much, Maxynn. I’m so glad that you’re my best friend.”

I smiled at her. “I’m glad to be here.”

When the door opened, Kate and I broke apart immediately and turned to see Zach looking at us both suspiciously. Kate hid the pregnancy test behind her back, but he noticed her tear streaked face and the tears in my eyes.

“You both… okay?” he asked, looking to her and then to me.

“We’re fine!” I assured, wiping at my eyes and taking a step in front of my best friend. “Can’t you learn to knock?”