Let's Play a Game (19)

When my alarm went off the next morning, I was more tired than usual. At first, I couldn’t remember why, but when I turned to turn off my alarm and I was face-to-face with Zachary Deveraux, I remembered why.

We had literally fallen asleep two hours before, and now we had to get up and go to school. This was not going to be a fun day.

Instead of waking him up sweetly like a normal person would, I sat up in my bed and kicked him, causing him to fall right off my bed and onto the ground. This definitely woke him up.

“What the heck?” he blinked tiredly, sitting up from the ground and looking at me. “Did you really have to wake me up like that?”

I nodded, yawning as I said, “Yep.”

Zach grabbed onto my wrist, pulling me forward and off of my bed. I let out a shout, knocking my lamp over in the process, and landed right on his chest on the floor.

My door opened then, and we turned to see Ethan in the doorway, looking at the two of us flatly. He looked at my messy bed, as if putting two and two together, and he only shook his head and closed the door without saying a word.

“Zach and Maxynn making quite a mess,” I heard him sing through my closed door as he walked down the hallway. “H-I-D-E-O-U-S.”

Before I could shout at him and tell him to shut up, Zach cut me off and muttered, “Wasn’t as good as his blunder rhyme…”

I scowled, rolling off of him and onto the floor now. “Get out of my room.”

I got ready for school as quickly as I could after Zach finally left my room, knowing that we were going to be late no matter what. I didn’t know about Zach, but I was so tired that I wouldn’t have been surprised if I fell asleep during class.

“Maxynn, Zach, can you please take Ethan to school?” Brianna asked us as we came down the stairs. “Steve’s at work, Elizabeth’s at school, and I have to go to work early today. Could you just drive him to school?”

“Yeah,” I nodded, cutting Zach off before he could say no to his mother. “Of course we’ll drive him to school.”

Brianna smiled gratefully at me, and quickly shooed Ethan outside so we wouldn’t be late. Zach nudged me as he went by me, which caused me to push him as well. We then stood in the doorway for about a minute, just shoving each other.

“Will you guys hurry up?” Ethan called out over his shoulder, not even caring that people were walking in front of our house as they walked to school. “You two already spent the night together; I don’t think you need to have any more time together.”

“Ethan!” I shouted at him. “Shut up!”

And he did, for about twelve seconds.

“I want Zach to drive,” Ethan told me from the backseat once I got into the driver’s seat and Zach got into the passenger’s seat. “The last time I drove with you in this car, it broke down and you purposely tripped into Johnny.”

“I did not do it on purpose!”

Ethan clicked his tongue as I pulled out of the driveway. “Whatever you say, Shrek.”

I looked back at him, confused. “Shrek?”

“You know, from the movie?” Ethan informed me, speaking slowly as if I was stupid. “The green ogre that fell in love with a princess that turned out to actually be an ogre, too? You know? I call you ogre, so now I called you by the name of a famous ogre?”

I still looked at him like I didn’t understand. I had heard of this movie, but I hadn’t ever seen it before. And I really wanted to kill Ethan for still calling me an ogre.