Five

Jeongguk's mind is jumbled, like the dark murky clouds outside of the plane window, clashing and shifting. Occasionally, a soundless light would pierce through the muddled greys, as he braces for the deafening thunder that follows.

The plane is being tossed around in turbulence - an eerie silence fills the cabin as everyone hunkers down to get through the shaky descend.

Sometimes you just got to know when a little turbulence comes with the territory, and how to weather through it with something resembling composure.

Jeongguk's thoughts are far away below the clouds, back to home in Manhattan.

Taehyung has been living there for more than a month now. They don't see each other much, and talk even less. Sometimes Jeongguk would hear guitar riffs drifting out of the basement, faint melodies that give him pause. Quite a few times, he spotted Taehyung talking to Jimin in the kitchen, or on the sidewalk out the house, laughing and picking on each other like old friends. It's a sure bet his presence always kills the mood right on the spot - the carefree grin would disappear from Taehyung's face as he makes a hastily exit. 

Jeongguk would glance at Jimin, at a loss of what to say.

And Jimin would respond with an apologetic shrug.

He knows what Jimin is thinking, don't be so harsh on the kid, give him time. Jeongguk regrets the way he handled things the day they came home from rehab.

But what he does hear from Jimin, is a constant update on how Taehyung is doing when he's not around. His health is getting better, sometimes he can sustain a long stroll to all his favorite places in the city - the rows of tables with emerald green lamps in the public library, grand central station with constellations adorning the ceiling, and a particular bench at east river park to stare into the rippling water, alone.

Jeongguk doesn't want to admit it but the bits of observation from Jimin brighten his day every time.

If keeping his distance helps Taehyung recover, and eases him into a more regular routine, then Jeongguk is fine with it. It's not the first time people find his presence intimidating. He's never been good with words - they always tumble out clumsily, a pale shadow of what he feels inside. Jeongguk relies on his action instead, and keeps his thoughts within.

There's a grace to a solitary life under perfect control, something that's especially precious when his responsibilities demand all of his attention.

The plane suddenly rocks, and the weightless drop snaps his thoughts back to the present. Outside the window, the clouds part as they descend, and he can see Manhattan sprawling out under them - skyscrapers straight out of architectural history books, central park covered in winter gloom, and the network of streets congested with the brights lights of yellow cabs. Serenity in chaos.

By the time the plane lands and Jeongguk walks out of the terminal, the afternoon sun warms his skin. Jimin is standing by the parked car, and waves at him nervously.

"How was the trip?" He opens the door for Jeongguk and takes his small suitcase.

"Same old. How have things been here?" Jeongguk eyes him quizzically.

Jimin takes his time getting back to the driver's seat, then with a heavy gulp, he turns around to face Jeongguk in the back.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't decide if I should've called you last night. Your flight today was early and I figured maybe he'll turn up this morning -"

"Wait, what's going on?"

"Um. It's Taehyung, he hasn't been home for two nights."

Jeongguk cards through his hair, "That's fine, not the first time. He always comes back."

"Yeah..."

"Jimin, what're you not telling me, did something happen?" Jeongguk's voice dips lower, eyes boring onto the driver who shifts in his seat.

"Well... two days ago, I dropped off some groceries at the house, and we ended up talking."

Jeongguk purses his lips but lets Jimin continue.

"He seemed jitterish, on edge. Said he's not sure about all this, that it didn't feel right."

"What didn't feel right?"

"All of it, I don't know, hard to tell what he means sometimes, it's kinda all over the place. Couldn't tell if something triggered it, or it's just withdraw. Dr. Wu did mention to expect mood swings."

"Yes, I remember." Frustration bubbles up in his stomach.

"Then he asked about you, um -" Jimin looks at him uncertainly.

"What? What did he ask?"

Jimin tugs on his shirt sleeve, "He asked me what I thought this whole thing was about, why you would help him, what you thought of him..." He looks up at Jeongguk pleadingly, "It's really not my place to say. I told him to talk to you instead, Mr. Jeon. I told him you just wanted to help him, we all did. And he deserved a break in life too, just use it and get well."

Jeongguk sighs, staring at Jimin wordlessly, who's fumbling and becoming more nervous with each word, "He's a good kid, you know. I was wrong about him, I thought he would be trouble, but honestly he's never asked for anything. I always have to check through the fridge and peek in the bathroom to figure out what he needs. But something's always on his mind, like he's in a daze, somewhere far away-"

"Jimin -"Jeongguk interrupts him and grabs his arm, "Is that all that happened? Nothing else? You're not telling me something."

Jimin looks down again, "Well I didn't think of our conversation much, I figured when you were back you could talk to him. But yesterday when I went to the house, his room was empty. I mean, he never had much in there, but some of the stuff was gone, shirts, toothbrush... And I thought about it, the only other thing that happened two days ago was Mr. Min calling me to ask if you were around."

"Yoongi?" A frown creeps up between his brows.

"Yes. He said there's a signed document he needed right away, and it might be at your house. I offered to find it and and deliver to the office, but he said it's ok, he would just swing by and grab it later."

Jeongguk slumps back into his seat. Yoongi has the security code for his house. Sole business partner for a decade, and friends for longer, Yoongi is closer than family. But Jeongguk's heart sinks as thoughts race through his mind. It all makes sense now, Jimin's nervousness, Taehyung's disappearance. "Could you drive to the office please."

Jimin nods and starts the car. As they pull away from the curb, he pipes up hesitantly, "I'm sorry Mr. Jeon, I'm sorry if I messed things up."

"No, you didn't do anything wrong. It's my fault that you got stuck in the middle." Jeongguk responds flatly, ending the conversation.