Eight

Taehyung sits on the steps in front of the house, and inhales the fragrance of fresh coffee with eyes half closed.

The trees lining alongside the street are budding with new leaves. Small patches of grass dot between the brownstone houses with lush shades of green. The air is still chilly but mixed with the sweet aroma of flowers. Spring in Greenwich is a pretty thing to be savored.

Suddenly the shoulder he's resting on pulls away, making Taehyung stumble awkwardly and yelp out of surprise, "Dude, stop messing around, I was sleeping!"

A loud chuckle, "My shoulder ain't a pillow, lazy bum."

Taehyung gives Jimin a dirty look and mumbles disgruntledly, "Look at us, summoned here by his highness like some stupid suckers. I didn't even eat breakfast yet."

Jimin's smile doesn't falter, "He said he didn't have to work today and wanted to take you somewhere, I'm sure it'll be fun." His gaze lands on Taehyung's denim jacket, hand reaching out to give the sleeve a tug, "I told you we should've gotten you a wool one, this thing is so - ugh, I've been wanting to toss it out this whole time-"

"DON'T-" Taehyung pulls away and squints dangerously, "-even think about it. This thing lasts forever man. And wool? Seriously, you people, I'll get mugged so fast.." He shakes his head but clings onto Jimin's shoulder like a puppy burrowing towards warmth.

Jimin dips his shoulder, and pauses before speaking again, "So did you end up checking out that bar down the street?"

Taehyung's eyelids droop, "Yeah, can't just free load here like a frigging pet forever..."

"Well, that bar is not a bad place. Lots of locals go there. Did you get the job?"

"Started last week. Place is kinda weird but not too bad."

Bar Abraxas is the name, which isn't even on the building front. It looks unassuming and downright dingy on the outside. Taehyung first notices a small handwritten note taped on the door - looking for part time bartender. He walks by it a few times before finally knocking on the door one day, reluctantly. Nobody answers, but that never stops Taehyung.

"So you met the owner?"

"Yeah, dude's got a fucked up sense of humor alright."

He remembers Jin's loud "yah!" that day as he catches Taehyung walking into the bar. They sit by the counter, the antique wooden surface smoothed out and polished by the countless patrons over the years. Right when Taehyung thinks he's about to be quizzed for past bartending experience, Jin proceeds with an entirely different question.

"Why can't you hear a Pterodactyl go to the bathroom?"

Jimin raises an eyebrow, "Wha..."

"That was what he asked me. After I told him my name and that I wanted to work there."

"Come again?" Jimin asks.

Taehyung repeats with a poker face, "Why can't you hear a Pterodactyl go to the bathroom. I recommend you don't over think it."

Jimin sounds curious, "Ohh, why is that? What's the answer?"

Taehyung looks into his eyes and responds, face as stiff as death, "Because, the P is silent."

Jimin pauses for a second, eyes widen, and suddenly a hearty laugh erupts out of him, "ahahahah. The P is silent. Oh man that's frigging hilarious, ahahahaha!"

Taehyung's expression goes from dead to judgmental, and finally lands on disgust. He looks at Jimin next to him, who's slapping his thigh excitedly and hollering in laughters, and pulls away slowly, "Wow, incredible. Can't believe someone actually thinks that's funny, I'll be sure to let Jin know."