Six

Yoongi's office is right next to his. He travels frequently, so it's always a welcoming sight when he pops into Jeongguk's office, sipping on an iced americano and cursing loudly at whatever is aggravating him in the moment. It's easy to calm him down though, usually suggesting an impromptu lunch at his favorite sushi joint will do the trick. On the days he's especially gloomy, Jeongguk would casually bring up Namjoon, how he might have time to join them for a drink after work, and watch as Yoongi's expression softens and a tiny grin slowly appears.

Today however, Jeongguk is not looking forward to the conversation they're about to have. He knocks on the office door and lets himself in.

The blinds are permanently down, to block out the glare from the windows that Yoongi hates. He's sitting by his desk, dressed in a plain white tee and loose jeans, looking west-coast laid back as usual. He's glancing up towards the tall man standing next to him in a grey three button suit, whispering softly with tenderness in his eyes.

It's Namjoon. Jeongguk can't tell if this will help or complicate the situation even more. He approaches cautiously.

"Jeongguk, perfect timing. We were just about to grab a bite to eat, come join us." As usual, Namjoon has the warmest smile that can disarm almost anyone, as he steps towards him looking pleasantly surprised.

"Hey, haven't seen you in a while, keeping busy?" Jeongguk reaches in for a half hug but Namjoon embraces him with both arms, the warmth of his lanky figure radiating through. Namjoon's parents were great attorneys, and Jeongguk remembers playing with Namjoon as a kid, as they schemed on brilliant pranks together. It feels nice seeing an old friend, however strange the situation is.

"Not as busy as you guys apparently, stop spamming me with work email at night please." Namjoon has a playful twinkle in his eyes. As the main legal representative of the firm, they communicate over emails and phone calls far more than in person.

Jeongguk smiles, and grabs a seat in front of the desk. His eyes meet Yoongi's gaze, voice nonchalant, "so I heard you were at my house a few days ago."

Yoongi pulls off his gold rimmed glasses, taking his time to respond, "Hmm, I expected you to show up, but this is still pretty fast. Didn't you just get back?"

Jeongguk speaks carefully, giving each word weight, "What did you say to him?"

Yoongi wipes his glasses carefully, head lowered and eyes focused on the task at hand, "You mean, your little friend? I'm surprised you've never introduced me before."

Jeongguk clenches his jaw, "It's not like you to interfere with my life, Yoongi. This is not like you."

"No, it's not."

The air in the room is tense. Namjoon finds his way to the other chair facing Yoongi's desk.

After a pause, Yoongi speaks again, eyes fixed on the glasses, "Guk, people like us, we don't make new friends. Acquittances yes, business allies, definitely, but otherwise our circle is small and -" he gestures towards a puzzled Namjoon, "We stick with the few friends and loved ones we've known since forever. And I think you know why."

He lets the question fill the silent room before answering, "Because we don't like the risks, the what ifs."

"You and I, we've earned everything we have. Remember when we opened this office with two rooms and three staffs?" Yoongi chuckles dryly, "People depend on us now, and I refuse to take uncalculated risks on anything. So when I walk into my only business partner's house to find some shady punk kid living there, you bet I'm going to ask him a few questions."

He's staring at Jeongguk now, eyes unflinching. Jeongguk flicks his wrist, "You're way overreacting. Like you said, he's just a kid. And I'm helping him out for a few weeks."