Ten

Taehyung is unsure what to expect when they arrive at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. Trailing behind Jeongguk, he is soon overwhelmed by the beauty along the way.

The Japanese pond filled with carps and water lilies, peony garden exploding with shades of fuchsia and pink, and the hundred year old hackberry tree with majestic canopy shading the glass pavilion below. It's almost too much, suddenly being surrounded by all the beauty. It makes his heart tremble and mind go blank. Taehyung tries to remember all the sceneries in his mind - to be played back in the dark, alone in his mind, when the grind gets tougher and the grim city streets feel suffocating, like a cage he was born into with no way out.

He has always yearned for nature in a way, where he can finally breathe and just be. There are hazy memories buried deep inside, of sandy beaches, salty sea breeze and carefree days. But they are so distant and blurry, he's never quite sure if the memories are real and worth abandoning everything for.

He pulls himself out of the musing. All he has is this moment - a past best forgotten, and a future he would rather not think about yet. But maybe that's enough, for the presence happens to be a moment that's almost too precious to behold.

"Here it is." Jeongguk speaks next to him and signals to what's ahead.

Two endless allees of cherry trees fill up the expansive field in front of them. Everywhere he can see, there are mixes of pink and white blossoms, releasing their intoxicating fragrance and reveling in the spring air. Taehyung's steps slow down, as if entering a dream. His eyes zoom onto the flowering branches, marveling at how each bloom is perfect in its own unique way. And the sky peeks through the layers of petals and young leaves, an immaculate blue backdrop too vibrant to be real.

"Thoughts? Is this what you wanted?" There's a glint of indulgence in Jeongguk's gaze under the cap.

Taehyung bites his lower lip but can't suppress the silly grin spreading on his face. With an overjoyed little sigh, he rushes towards Jeongguk and embraces him tightly with both arms, face lowered and buried into the crook of his neck. Jeongguk's torso tightens at the touch, but relaxes slowly as Taehyung sinks into the warmth of the hug.

"Thank you." The words are no more than faint whispers, but Taehyung knows Jeongguk hears him. He lingers in the hug, dwelling in the simply physical contact with no string attached. Jeongguk is silent, but his hands rest on the curve of Taehyung's back, firm and reassuring.

When they finally part, Taehyung snaps his head away and hopes the blush on his cheeks fade soon. They walk wordlessly for a moment, Taehyung carefully sidestepping through the fallen petals on the pathway, not having the heart to stomp on them.

Finally he clears his throat and breaks the silence, "It's magical."

Jeongguk responds next to him, "I've only been once when I was young. Looks like some of the buds haven't opened up yet, probably should've come a few weeks later."

"Oh no," Taehyung shakes his head and looks at him earnestly, "This was perfect already, so perfect I don't even know what to say."

Jeongguk smiles, voice teasing but satisfied, "Too easy to make you happy. Try to ask for something tougher next time, like most other people."

Taehyung shoots him an exaggerated glare and mutters, "I'm not 'most other people'."

He inches towards a branch and closes his eyes to inhale the saccharine fragrance. Suddenly there's an urge to capture the moment, however undeserving of it he may be. Taehyung looks towards Jeongguk hesitantly, "Um, I do have another favor."

Jeongguk cocks his head to the side, "go for it."

"Could I, maybe, get a photo, please?" He fidgets with the sleeve of his jacket and wiggles his pursed lips, making Jeongguk chuckle. "Don't ask me what the fuck I'm gonna do with a photo... It's just - really want something to remember this by..."

Jeongguk pulls out his phone and contemplates, "I dunno, what's in it for me. Drive you around all day and now have to take photos for you..."

Taehyung rushes back to Jeongguk, and tugs on his hoodie pleadingly, "please? Please, I'll-God I'm so useless... I'll-I'll cook ramyeon for both of us when we get home?"

Jeongguk pauses at the last word, and shoots Taehyung a glance. Taehyung responds with praying hands.

He beams when Jeongguk finally raises his phone.

Turns out Jeongguk is meticulous with photos, as with most things in life. He spends time assessing lighting, composition, and other things that go over Taehyung's head. Then there are the taking and retaking of photos at different angles. So much time elapses that Taehyung's initial trepidation in front of the camera evaporates, and he ends up just walking next to the cherry trees freely while letting Jeongguk do his thing. The photos turn out to be brilliant - mostly of Taehyung looking away from the lenses, some are zoomed-in details, of his fingers, wrist, or ruffled hair amongst flowering branches. Candid, some blurry but evocative, they are so different than the way he sees himself, inexplicably so.

Taehyung never really gets to see those photos again, saved for one. But it turns out he doesn't need photos to remember this day by, after all. The memories are vivid on his mind for years after, warming up his thoughts and bringing a smile to his lips when he draws upon them. It brings him comfort and strength, to know that no matter how bleak the days may get, there's always a little corner of paradise he can visit in New York, when spring comes.