Left Her To Die

Phoebe's POV

We reached the gym without any problems. When I opened the door, it was the exact moment when the electricity was cut off making the hallway dark. Good thing Camila gave me her phone in case this happens. I brought it out and I lit our way.

"There" Lacy pointed to another door probably leading to the equipment room.

We quietly ran towards the door and luckily it was left open. Lacy and Justin led the way to the place where they store the baseball bats.

"Let's take as many bats as we can," I told them.

I looked for a bag so we could put some baseball bats in it. Fortunately, I found an empty duffel bag in the corner and I quickly took it and handed it to Justin. I helped them take the baseball bats and because we were in a rush, because anytime, those monsters would be here. I was rushing so much that I accidentally dropped some equipment. Shit! We froze in our places for a second but we moved quickly, picking up the bats on the floor, as we heard the gym door open. That only means one thing...they're here...

"Come on" I told them and we had one baseball bat each and more in the bag Justin is carrying.

We immediately ran towards the exit and saw that zombies started to flood in. I thought of distracting them because I noticed that they can only sense us with their hearing and maybe smell. I ran towards the bleachers since it's the farthest from the exit which will give us enough time to leave.

"What are you doing?" Lacy asked.

"Just make some noise to get their attention" I answered.

We ran towards the bleachers and slammed our bats to it. Our actions caught their attention and they started moving towards us. When they were near enough, we ran towards the exit. I ran towards the door with Justin behind me and when I looked back at Lacy, I saw her in trouble.

"Help!" She screamed.

"We need to help her," Justin said, stopping in his tracks.

"We can't. We already risked our lives going out here. We don't need to harm ourselves again" I told him with finality in my voice.

He looked unsure but that's the best thing we can do to save ourselves. I'm not going to risk two lives just to save one. I'm not being selfish here but that, I think, was the smartest move that we can do. We closed the door and drowned out Lacy's shouts and screams. We ran towards the office and saw Axel with a shocked look.

Axel's POV

So that's what happened in the gym. If I was the one in Phoebe's place, I would have done the same. But of course, not everyone was happy about it.

"What?! You left her to die!" Troy angrily shouted.

"You basically killed her!" Mason also angrily shouted.

"It was the best thing to do," Justin sadly replied.

"Best thing to do?!" Troy angrily repeated.

"She was also my friend!" Justin shouted back.

That seemed to affect Troy and Mason and soon they calmed down. Stepping away from Phoebe and Justin.

"Look, she was my friend too so I know what you two are feeling" Justin sadly said.

"I'm sorry, bro. I got carried away" Mason apologised.

"Come on, we have to leave." Mr. Anderson said.

"Where are we going?" James asked.

"To our families of course," Mr. Anderson said.

"By the way, guys, they have moved to a center," Ivy said looking on her phone. "I saw it just before the signals went down. It said that everyone was brought there. At least that's what I read."

"Then where is it?" Mr. Anderson asked.

"I don't know, I didn't click the link" Ivy answered.

"So, what now?" I asked.

"We look for them, obviously," Mr. Anderson said.

"Let's stay at my house first since it's the nearest from here" Troy suggested.

Everybody agreed and we rode in our cars. Troy, Mason and Justin on the first car, me and James on the second, Ivy and Roxanne on the third, and Camila and Phoebe on the last car with Mr. Andrews. We reached Troy's house in less than 10 minutes. He opened the door and there was no one inside. I looked at him and saw a worried expression on his face. I tapped his shoulder and showed him that it's going to be alright.

"Thanks" he whispered.

I nodded and we all settled down on the floor. We chose the floor instead of the rooms upstairs so that in case we would be in trouble, we would be near the exits. Mason, Troy and Justin barricaded the door and after blocking the door, we decided to sleep so we can move out tomorrow morning.

I woke up in the middle of the night and I saw everybody sleeping. I was about to change my position but I felt some extra weight on my waist. When I looked to the person who owns it, it turned out to be James. His arms were around me and it kinda felt comfortable so I didn't move it away. I shrugged and faced the other side and that's when I saw Troy's silhouette sitting up, still awake.

"Are you okay?" I curiously asked him.

"Yep" he whispered.

"Are you sure?" I asked once again, not believing him.

"Actually, no" he sighed. "I'm just worried about my parents and my sister."

Wait. What?!

"You have a sister?!" I asked with shock in my voice.

He chuckled.

"Yes" he said while smiling. "Her name's Lilly"

"Oh"

"I just miss them right now" he sadly continued. "We had a misunderstanding this morning and it did not end well. I hope they're safe right now."

"Don't worry, we're always here for you" I smiled and held his cheeks.

"Thanks" he said shyly.

"Get some sleep, we'll leave tomorrow morning" I told him and cuddled with James again since it was cold.

In the morning, we immediately prepared to move out. Phoebe handed us our weapons, specifically our baseball bats and we were ready to go.

"So where to now?" I asked.

They looked at me and when I saw their faces I knew we didn't have a place to go.

Troy's POV

I'm really worried about my family. Even if I released some of my worries to Axel I still can't seem to sleep without a lot of questions popping in my mind. Questions like, "Are they safe?", "Are they together?", "Where are they?" And the most important one that really bugs my mind, "When will I see them again?". This morning, I knew we had no plans for today. I was thinking the whole night and I haven't got any sleep.

"How about we check the area for signs...or maybe...uh...check the houses for food?" Axel said helplessly.

He really looks very cute with those sad eyes and a pout. He looks like a lost puppy.

"He's right," Camila said as all of our stomachs grumble in hunger.

Hmm...this would be a long day...