Harvest Moon (2)

The hall became quiet again as they listened to the scene that unfolded before them

"Forgive this subject, for this subject's impudence." The veiled woman said. "But this subject would like to return the reward and ask for another reward."

Every gasped at her audacity to return the King's gift and ask for another gift. The ceremonial hall was quiet as silence descend upon them. The air became suffocating as Ryu's white hot anger whipped out and lashed out at everyone.

Soon the only sound that could be heard was Ryu's forefinger tapping the table in a steady pace. When Ryu didn't speak, the woman took it as a sign to speak.

"With the King's magnanimity, this subject asks that the reward to be for Queen Siri to perform one of the four womanly arts for everyone. We have heard of the Queen's talent and has yearned for her to share her talents with the rest of us. This subject does not need gold for a reward. This subject only looks forward to listening to the Queen's music." She said as she bowed.

"Do you think the King's words once given could be so easily given back?" Siri asked calmly. "Instead of accepting the King's magnanimity, you return it. Yet ask for another reward in return because it does not suit your heart? Who are you to be asking for such things from the King? What have you done to receive such a notion that you can request something from the King, let alone me?"

The woman froze before bowing her head parallel to the floor. Her hands curl into a fist knowing she made a mistake. She only wanted to hear the Queen play music. There was no malicious intent in her actions. She had fallen in love with Queen Siri when she played the guzheng at Prince Ronin's birthday. Her beauty and grace filled Mia's heart and made it beat again. It was because of the Queen that she decided to live again. She wanted to be King Ryu's concubine, not to be close to him, but to be close to Queen Siri. Queen Siri would be in charge of the Back Palace and she'll get every chance to be near Queen Siri. The King decreed that he'll never step foot inside the Back Palace nor look at the women there. So she decided that the only way to be close to Queen Siri and spend the rest of her days with Queen Siri would be to become King Ryu's concubine so she could spend the rest of her days by Queen Siri's side. It would be days well spent with her love. 

"Please forgive this servant."  Mia begged.  "This servant only wanted to listen to Queen Siri's music. This servant did not mean to be discourteous or ungrateful to King Ryu and Queen Siri.  It is this servants only wish to listen to Queen Siri play music ever since she played the guzheng at Prince Ronin's birthday.  This servant did not mean to cause trouble.  Please punish this servant." 

Ryu's eyebrow twitched upon hearing that she only wanted to hear Siri play her music.  Ryu had grown to love hearing Siri play on her instruments and had grown possessive over her only letting him listen to her.  How could he let her play in front of everyone?  Especially now that she is Queen.  She no longer had to show off her talents to attract men. 

"If you do not want the gold coins, then they would be split up and given to the other dancers.  As your request to hear my Queen play music, that is denied.  As for your punishment, your beauty will establish your future, so this King will not mark it.  Your talents establishes your accomplishments as a woman, so this King will not break it.  For your impudence, your father's pay will be stricken in half for three months.  Your mother will re-teach you lessons about etiquette and your father will be demoted one rank." Ryu said to her.  Instead of punishing her for her actions, he is punishing her family to teach her a lesson.  Her actions are not her own.  They reflect on her mother and father who has helped raise her and teach her.  Her family would suffer because of her.  It would be all her fault.  It would now be up to her parents for disciplining her.  "I suggest Lady Mia go change and go back to your seat so the celebration for the Harvest Moon can continue."

Mia froze as she heard her name.  How did he know it was her?  Her veil was still on the whole time.  When did he figure it was her?  Did he know all along. 

"Mia!"  Her father, Minister Bovi said sternly.  Even he didn't know it was his own daughter who was the dancer.  Who caused him to lose face.  Who caused him to lose a half month's pay for three months.  He was frustrated to no end, but he couldn't let others know just how angry he was.  He had worked so hard to become a second rank minister, and yet because of his daughter he became a third rank minister again. 

Mia bowed then thanked the King for his magnanimity atleft with her head held up high. She left without looking at her parents.   The King could punish her family and her if he wanted to.  But in the end, she will become his concubine, so she could be near her beloved Queen .  She was determined.

The celebration went on until a noble daughter challenged another noble daughter in a music competition.  The winner will gain fame while the loser will lose face. 

They came up front and bowed to Siri.

"We ask that Queen Siri judge the competition so your Highness can to judge us fairly.  Queen Siri has the knowledge and skills to differentiate the difference in quality, technique and style."  Huifang said.