Harvest Moon (3)

Huifang, daughter to Lieutenant General Isamu went first. A guzheng as provided in the middle of the room and the song she chose to play was about a farmer's wife waiting for her farmer husband to get home. Their meal would become cold if he doesn't come home soon, so she waits at the door searching for him under the full moon.

The song she chose was fitting for the celebration, her technique was flawless. There were no mistakes and no pauses. Her style was relaxed and comfortable, which told Siri that she must have practiced just as hard as Siri to be so proficient in it. When she finished everyone clapped their hands and gave her father congratulations.

When the other lady came up to the stage, she had a sweat coming down her forehead and a look of worry. Her hands hovered above the guzheng before her long fingers plucked the strings. Anyah played with passion as the song played out, enchanting everyone. The song she chose to play was about the hardship of farming yet the rewards of hard work.

Anyah's technique was also flawless, there was no mistakes or flaw in it as well. Her style was strong and passionate like the song was meant to be played. When the song finished, she too held the audience captivated, and a round of applause from the audience gave her a smile and a self assured confidence she needed to relax. Her father was given complements on her achievements.

The two girls bowed in front of Siri before they asked her for her judgement.

"Queen Siri, what is your judgement on who played better than the other?" Anyah asked as they stood side by side.

Siri smiled gracefully and calmly at them before her eyes flicked over at both of their fathers. One father was from the military side of the government while the other was a minister. If she chose one over the other, she would slight one and praise the other one, which would cause trouble.

"This Queen may have the knowledge and skills to differentiate the difference in quality, technique and style. I can confidently say that you both are very skilled. The songs you've chosen were appropriate songs to celebrate the Harvest Moon festival. Both of your techniques are impeccable and you should thank your teacher for a job well done. Any husband you marry in the future would be proud that their wife is so accomplished." Siri said as many people nodded their heads and laughed at her statement.

Their show of playing the guzheng was to attract King Ryu. It had been both of their ideas to start a competition and show off their skills in front of him so he would notice them. They hoped to use the guzheng to catch his eyes away from Queen Siri and become his concubine.

"Your style is where it is different. Lady Huifang, your style of playing the guzheng is soft like a cloud yet fluid like the river. It is comfortable to the heart and pleasing to the ear. Lady Anyah, you style of playing is strong like a mountain yet graceful like a flower. It brings passion to the heart and encourages one's will." Siri said. "Your parents should be proud that they have beautiful daughters that are so talented. However, how can one choose which Lady is better than the other when this Queen only dabbles with the guzheng and not a true expert?"

The two ladies looked at each other not knowing how it turned out this way. They were hoping that she pick one of them and cause a rift between their parents and the King, thus in turn a rift between the King and Queen.

"This Queen shall reward you both for a job well done. Your accomplishments are something to be proud of. 3 bolts of fabric, one set of hair pins and one set of jade bracelets." Siri said dismissing the girls.

The two girls bowed thanking Siri before leaving. After the two girls, more girls came up to play music during the celebration. Showing off their talents in front of everyone so their family can also gain honor and fame while getting rewards from the Queen.

When it was time for the Harvest Moon viewing, everyone went outside to gaze upon the moon. The large, orange red moon shined brightly, lighting up the sky. Everyone closed their eyes and made a wish before the skies lit up with fireworks. When it was finished, Ryu and Siri left the feast, which announced to everyone that they were able to leave as well.