Chapter 18

Hermione stared at her best friend unblinking, trying to find words.

"Ginny! What are you doing here?" she sputtered

Ginny walked further into the room and sat down on the edge of the bed, cooing at her baby who had started to fuss. "You wouldn't answer my letters," she replied simply, without looking up from her baby.

Hermione slid next to her and peered down at baby James Sirius Potter. A smile slid onto her face and she reached out to caress his hair.

Ginny frowned at her. "I shouldn't let you touch him."

"And why is that?" Hermione asked, offended at Ginny's words.

"What kind of godmother doesn't come and visit her godson, even if she is mad at his parents." Ginny scowled at her and pulled James out of the carrier so she could feed him. "Do you have a sheet or something? I forgot my nursing cover."

Hermione got up and brought her a silk sheet from the linen closet. "Is that what you think? That I'm mad at you and Harry? Why should I be mad at you?"

"That's what we've been wondering." She covered herself and started to nurse her son, wincing as he latched on.

They were quiet for a few minutes as Ginny waited for an explanation and James drifted off to sleep in his mother's arms. Hermione sighed and slipped the giant engagement ring onto her ring finger, holding her left hand out to show Ginny.

Ginny gasped and squealed silently, not wanting to wake James. "What?! When? How?! Hermione!" She whisper-yelled. "Hold on a second." She placed the sleeping baby in the center of the bed and placed pillows around him before dragging Hermione by the arm into the hallway.

"Explain yourself! You're engaged!?" She asked, examining the ring more closely.

Hermione smiled sheepishly. "Yes?"

Ginny grinned at her. "Ha! I won the bet!"

"What bet?" Hermione asked, frowning at her friend.

"Pansy said that you and Draco would find a way out of the conditions of Lucius' will and I said that you would both use it as an excuse to speed up your relationship without having to consciously do it yourselves."

"How do you know about Lucius' will?" Hermione asked with suspicion.

Ginny's face turned bright red. "Uhhhh...lucky guess?"

Hermione felt her blood boil in anger as realization washed over her. "Draco."

"What's that?"

"Draco told you. I bet he didn't even have to go to work today! He only said that so you could corner me!"

"Hermione calm down! He's worried about you. Harry and I are too by the way. Even Ron, as dense as he is, senses that something's off."

The brunette witch looked down at her feet as her anger subsided, being replaced by sadness.

"What's really wrong Hermione? Do you not want to marry Malfoy?"

Her head snapped up and she shook her head. "No! I really do. I mean at first I was hesitant, obviously, given the circumstances, but he makes me so happy and I can't imagine living my life without him."

"So what's the problem?"

Hermione hesitated. "This damn ring is too big!" she exclaimed, throwing her hands up in exasperation.

Ginny stared at her. "Are you kidding me Hermione? THAT's why you've been avoiding us? Because your bloody engagement ring is too big? Most girls would be thrilled to have a ring like that! It's beautiful!"