Prologue

CW: none.
_________________

The date was 7 June 2012. It was cold and raining and honestly awful outside. Inside, though, the rooms were warm and dry. Despite the inside warmth, L still felt as cold as ice. Light wasn't much better off. Both were just playing the game, waiting to pass "GO" and collect two hundred. Neither wanted to be the loser. Neither wanted to let down their guard for a second.

"I suppose it's doing us no good to ignore each other," Light said to break the silence.

"I actually liked it better when you weren't talking," L quipped.

"Now, now, Ryuzaki. No need to be a child."

"I'm not being a child. I'm simply stating that you're annoying when you speak."

"Why have you gotten an attitude all of a sudden?"

"It's not sudden; I just don't waste my time showing it to you."

"You're acting like a thirteen-year-old girl," Light said, growing annoyed.

"It's not my fault that you won't leave me be. I do not wish for you to be in my presence, Light," L said, spitting Light's name like venom.

"Fine; I'll go," Light said, getting up and walking towards the door.

"Don't leave." L's voice was soft, pleading.

Light turned around, expecting to see L's usual mask of impassivity. Instead, he was met with deep black eyes filled with a sort of longing and sadness. Light's face softened as he looked at the now vulnerable L.

"You said you didn't want me. Why would I stay?" Light asked, voice soft and gentle.

L looked up at Light. He hadn't meant for the words he'd been thinking to slip out. He didn't mean for the emotions to show. He didn't mean to feel this need, this love for Light Yagami. He didn't mean to really feel anything at all. Lately, Light had been breaking down all the barriers. His walls came tumbling down. He found himself coming undone; all he wanted was Light. Softly, with an edge of almost-tears in his voice, L told Light exactly why he should stay.

"I need you, Light. I don't ever want you to leave me."

Once the words were said, there was no going back. At first, Light was shocked. Then, he came to L. Close enough to feel heat radiating from skin. Close enough to whisper promises that may or may not keep. Just close enough to touch...