Chapter Twelve

"Don't think that just because I came to stop you, everything's all right. Because it's not," L said to Light as they went into the interrogation room.

"I didn't expect it to be," Light replied, though his expression told a different story.

They spent most of the afternoon in the interrogation room. All of the others watched the interrogation on the cameras, hanging on to every word of the story. Finally, they came to the end of the interrogation.

"So, where is the Death Note now?" L asked.

"I burned it."

"When?"

"Just before I tried to jump off the complex. Didn't you see the fire?"

"Of course I saw the fire," L snapped. "I am simply required to ask so that the information is on record, were this interrogation to be used in a court of law."

"So, it's death penalty for me, then. I suppose I do deserve it."

"No,"

"What?" Light asked, shocked.

"Yes, you do deserve the death penalty. But, I'm not giving it to you. I am going to destroy all records of this. We'll let everyone know that 'Kira' is taken care of, but I won't let anyone do anything to you."

"Why not? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but... Why not?"

"Because I want a little more time with you."

"L? What's that supposed to mean?!"

"This is it. I've got three more days and I love you. I am in love with you in such a way that I have never felt such strong emotion for anyone in my life. I want to spend my last three days with you. I don't want to be without you. This is the end, and I don't want to go through it alone. I want you there, by my side. I want to be yours and have you as mine in every way possible before I die. Three days is not a lot of time, but it's all we have, and I wom't be one to waste it."

L was crying. L rarely ever cried and he hated it when he did. He tried, but he couldn't stop. He wanted -- no needed -- more time. There was always enough time until there was no time left.

"I'll do everything I can for you. I promise. You mean more to me than everything, and right when I sorta get you back, you're just gonna go and die on me?! What the hell?! This has to be some kind of sick fucking joke. This can't be reality. It's not fucking possible, okay? This can't actually be happening. It just... It can't!"

"I wish this could all be a joke. If it was, I wouldn't let you off the hook. I wish I had more time. I need more time."

"Don't. Don't say anything else. Just... Kiss me."

"Huh?"

"Kiss me," Light said. "Kiss me like it's the last day. Kiss me like we have no time left. Kiss me like you wanna be loved."

There were no more words. L pulled Light close and within seconds, the two were wrapped up in each other, kissing like they were running out of time. The worst part was that they were.