Chapter Eight

"So, how'd it go?" Matsuda asked as L and Light came up to the main workroom.

"Not the way we hoped it would," L replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Matsuda looked at Light. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Maybe later."

"All right. You know I'm here for both of you if you need someone."

"Thanks," L and Light said simultaneously.

"Come on, darling," L said. "Let's go to our flat."

"Okay."

L took Light up to the flat they shared. He led Light to the bathroom, where he had a surprise waiting.

"Close your eyes," L said with a sweet smile. Light shut his eyes. L opened the door and led Light inside.

"All right; you can open them now. "

Light looked around the room in wonder. L had run a bubble bath for the two of them in the huge bathtub. There were rose petals scattered on the floor leading to the tub. The room was lit only by candles, and looked like something from a romance novel, complete with a bottle of champagne and two glasses that were set on the rim of the tub. Light turned to look at L.

"It's amazing! " Light said, joy and surprise plain on his face.

"Shall we?" L asked with a dazzling smile.

"We shall," Light replied.

The two spent that night in the tub relaxing and talking and drinking champagne. I wish it could always be like this, L thought. Simple, beautiful, easy...

***

It's a few days later. Everyone is sat in the main workroom, going over suspects and information. Light has been sat in his chair the whole time, not speaking at all.

"Hey, L," Aizawa began.

"Yes?"

"What exactly made you take Light off of the suspects list?"

"Light has been very adamant about not being Kira. He's given me no real reason think he's lying. If Light says he's innocent, I believe him."

L's words weighed heavily on Light's conscience. He really believes I'm innocent. I can't believe I'm actually able to lie to him. I can't. I have to get rid of this Death Note. I just can't lie to him anymore.

As if Ryuk could read Light's thoughts, Light heard Ryuk's voice from behind him.

"You can't really be considering giving up the Death Note."

Light excused himself to go to the toilets. He locked the door so no one would come in on his conversation with Ryuk.

"I have to give it up, Ryuk. I can't just keep lying to L. I love him too much and he deserves much better than that."

"But you can't just give it up! Think of all the power you have! If you give up the Death Note, you'll lose all that power."

"I don't care about the power! I just don't want to be keeping anymore secrets from L. I love him too much to do this. He deserves someone so much better than me. I could at least be honest with him."

"If you give up the Death Note, who will bring justice to the world? No one else can do what you do with that Death Note, Light. Keeping it would only be doing the world a favour. As long as you keep it hidden, nobody will know. You can be with L and deliver the justice the law refuses and nobody will know. Think of it like an alter-ego. You and Kira will be two totally different people."

"Well..."

"Just think of how much better off the world will be."

"Mmmh... Okay," Light reluctantly agreed.