Grass Green Paradise

Chapter 9

Miranda

"Nathalie Grayson. Will you marry me?"

My eyes widen in surprised. I couldn't even breathe. I watch my daughter's face light up like the sun before she jumps up and down in excitement, "Yes. Yes. I will marry you."

Rose eye widen, "Really?"

"What?" I say to myself and swallow the rest of the champagne. I then watch Rose stand up and pull Nathalie into a hug before kissing her deeply. She then slide the ring onto Nathalie finger and it's like I fell into my worse nightmare. My baby girl is getting married. She wasn't going to be my baby girl anymore. I stand paralyzed. A flash of images go through my head. I didn't want to sound old but dammit.... Nathalie was just learning to walk and now she's getting married.

Marriage. What's next? Children?

I touch my forehead as everything becomes blurry. I will be a grandmother. I'm not ready to be a grandmother just yet.

"Miranda? Miranda? Mira?" I snap my eyes up and Sam is standing directly in front of me. Yes. Yes. This is better. I needed her right here. I throw my arms around her neck and she slide her hands around my waist. "Breathe." She whispers in my ear. "It's okay. She's not going anywhere. Nothing will change." Sam kisses the side of my neck and then say, "Now. Let's go over there and tell them both how happy we are."

I bury my face in her neck and mumble, "I'm not happy, Sam."

"Pretend." She chuckles. "For Nathalie."

"Fine." I pout with a roll of my eyes.

Sam gives me a wide smile and say, "You know you're excited. You get to plan your daughter's wedding."

I give her a small smirk, "Maybe."

"And you know deep down you love Rose." She pushes.

I arch my eyebrow. "I think you've smacked your head on the pavement."

Sam squeezes my hip and I giggle. It still amazes me that someone could get these type of reactions out of me. Sam knows me well. It's frightened. Sam kisses my forehead and mutter, "You don't have to say it out loud. But, I know you." She then pull away and basically drag me over towards Nathalie and Rose. I look at the ring on her finger and it's beautiful. I have to give it to Rose. The ring is classy, elegant and encircled by a double row of diamonds. It fit Nathalie perfectly. I put a huge smile on my face and Rose stand next to Nathalie with confidence but I could see the nervousness in her eyes. "Congratulations." I pull Nathalie in my arms.

The night goes by in a blur as we open a bottle of champagne to celebrate Rose and Nathalie engagement. I walk into the main room to see Piper and the twins playing a video game that I didn't think Joy would approve of. Delilah pauses the game so I couldn't see what they were playing. I furrow my eyebrow at her. She was too good for her own age. "Come on Piper. It's time to go."

"Can she spend the night?" Delilah ask. "We have to get through this mission together."

"What game is this?" I walk around the table and pick up the case. I squint my eyes in confusion. "Grand Theft Auto?"

"It's about stopping the gangsters from stealing cars. It's a good lesson for children our age?" Delilah rushes out her mouth. Piper just nod her head and Lily chooses not to say anything. I shake my head in disbelief. I could tell from the man with a gun and a woman in a bikini on the cover that whatever Delilah was preaching is a lie. "Turn off the game. Bedtime."