The Letter of Lies

Chapter 13

Sam

I sit in the car and lean my head against the cool window. Nathalie is next to me typing away on her phone. She locks the screen and look at me before giving me a sympathetic smile. I sigh and turn away to continue looking out at the cars riding by.

I shut my eyes and think about the last few hours. I couldn't catch a break. The vivid memories make me squeeze my fist in anger.

[][]

3 Hours Ago

I grin widely and watch Tessa pop the bottle of wine. It spills everywhere and run down the bottle getting everywhere. "I'm so sorry." She chuckles.

Today we completed the semester and our presentation was perfect. All the hard work was well worth it. I go into the kitchen to grab something to clean up all the mess on the floor. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I just wished Miranda was here to celebrate with me. But, she hasn't called or even tried to get in touch with me. I didn't know how I felt about it. I was expecting her to pop up on her own accord and demand me to listen to her.

But....nothing.

We clean the mess off the floor together and Tessa pours me a glass of wine. We then sit on the couch together. We sip together quietly. Tessa soons speak, "Thanks for finishing the project with me. It would have been nearly impossible to find another partner."

Tessa begged that we finish our final project together and even do some studying for the final exam. She even promised we would stop being friends afterwards.

Tessa swallows the rest of the wine and stand.

I look at her oddly.

"I may be a bitch but I keep my promises." She throw out her hand for me to shake. "It was nice working with you Sam."

"What are you doing?" I ask in confusion.

"I told you once we're done I'm out your life." Tessa explains. "I understand defeat when it is presented to me."

I sigh. "Can we not just be friends?" I try.

Tessa chuckles while shaking her head. "We can't. I really like you Sam but you're letting Miranda hold you back..."

I roll my eyes annoyed and when she take a seat next to me I scoot away. She frown, "I'm not trying to come onto you again." She laughs embarrassed. "It's hard to let your first love go but sometimes it's for the best. Trust me. Letting my first love go was the best decision I could have ever made. It wasn't easy but I got through it. I can tell Miranda means everything to you but that's probably one of the reasons you can't see how great you and I would be together."

I roll my eyes again. "I love Miranda." I tell her.

She smiles sadly, "Seems like you're trying to convince yourself and not me. No one will think you're the bad guy if you choose to end things with her. I know I somehow make everything about us..." She trails off and I nod my head in agreement. "But this isn't about me and you. It's about what is best for you."

"You don't understand..."

"Have you told her about Ireland yet?" Tessa questions.

"I..."

"My point exactly." Tessa pushes. I frown. "You're afraid she won't let you go. You know how selfish she can be and you love her so much that you will stay if she ask you to."