I Win

Chapter 23

Miranda

I stare out the window and look down at the busy city below. I'm not particularly happy about being up this early, at the office on a saturday morning, and away from my family. Piper was upset this morning and it was hard to tell her goodbye. It's the summer and she had plans.

It's the summer mom. I'm out of school. I thought the weekend was our day. Not work day.

I frown sadly at remembering her words before walking out the door and leaving her with Sam. My phone chimes and I glance at the message to see a picture of Sam and Piper eating ice-cream with Sam mother and her Uncle.

My smile becomes huge but it doesn't last long because my office door opens and reveals one of my assistants--I still have yet to learn her name--comes rushing in and placing coffee onto my desk. I look down at it curiously and she swallows nervously at me. "Your regular." She squeaks.

I roll my eyes and grab the cup before taking a sip. It's burning. It's acceptable. She sighs gratefully and I ask, "When will the re-do be complete?" I question. I didn't have time to be stuck in the office all day. Today is suppose to be a special day. I had a surprise for everyone. The girl shifts nervously and replies, "I don't know."

"Leave." I snarl. "Your incompetence is making me nauseous."

She speeds out of my office and I get into my work. The coffee finally settles in and my mood changes to not wanting to murder everyone. Time seems to speed by and when I finally complete everything it's around noon. I shut my laptop and pack up all my things. I walk into the outer office and everyone freeze.

I figured everyone would be gone. Today was their last day. They were supposed to come in and check themselves out, return badges and such. I look around for Austin. The assistants look at me and I guess they are waiting for a long speech about their hard work.

Sam would have wanted me to at least try even though I wanted to just walk past them and leave. "You all did your job and that is what the world will expect. I'm sure your future job will be a piece of cake. You all are free to go."

The team looks confused but Austin starts to clap and everyone follows in unison. Suddenly, there are cheers and someone even pop opens a bottle of wine to celebrate. Austin approaches me with his tablet. "I canceled all of your meetings for the rest of the week. Is there anything I should be doing while you're gone?"

"I'll send you a file." I tell him. "However, call everyone and tell them to meet me at this address." I pass him a piece of paper. He glances at it curiously before looking up and asking, "Who is considered everyone...

I roll my eyes, "Save your questions for someone who has the time. Figure it out." I turn away and Austin huff behind me. "Rose is allowed." I roll my eyes. "She is family now." He smiles and escorts me towards the elevator.

"This is unfair." Someone shouts. I stop in my tracks and turn around. "And inappropriate."

I arch my eyebrow at the audacity. "Tread carefully while you're ahead young woman."

She rolls her eyes and smacks her lips, "I've worked harder than anyone in this building, especially Austin!" She spats. "How is he the only one who receives a full-time job?" She questions. "The others and I have put more time in the office doing your annoying paperwork, scheduling, running to get your coffee orders, and any other insane orders you give." She clenches her jaw and I let her continue to speak. "I know he's been getting paychecks also which is illegal because this is an unpaid internship. I'm really disappointed in you Miranda Grayson. I can't believe you're choosing Austin over everyone because he's your girlfriend best friend." She finishes. "I want what is owed to me."