Paint a Picture

Chapter 12

Miranda

I stand with my arms folded as I stare out my office window and look down at the city. The sun is setting and it is a beautiful sight. Someone knock softly on my door and I don't bother to turn around. The only one who is brave enough to enter my office at times like this is Austin. He comes in quietly and place a portfolio on the desk. Even though I wasn't facing him I knew that he was slowly turning around trying to not be noticed. "Have you heard from her?" I ask while still facing toward the huge windows.

"Yeah." He answers. "Yesterday." He swallows. "She is working on her final project."

"How is she doing?" I continue to question.

"Stressed." Austin admits honestly. "But. She's smart. I'm sure she's going to do great."

I nod my head. "Make sure she eats." I say. "She forgets about food when she's stress." I turn around and face him and Austin look shock that my attention is now on him. "And make sure she stays hydrated. Water doesn't exist when she is trying to stay awake. Only coffee and those deadly energy drinks."

"Of course." Austin nod his head. "I'll keep you posted."

I watch Austin disappear out of the office. I take a seat at my desk and begin to flip through the work he has left on my desk. I couldn't focus but I try my best to find the flaws and mistakes my idiotic interns has left. Sam and I haven't spoke for several days. I wanted to contact her but Nathalie told me it was best to give her space. She was angry and confused.

Sam had every right to be. But, I couldn't deal with the space. We were so close to being back together and something rip us apart yet again. However, I still had a company to run and I couldn't let the depression take over. I had to be strong for Sam and I. If she wanted space from me then that is what I will give her. I did disappear for three months.

I pack up my things when the stars begin to come out. I get into my car and drive to see the other light in my life. I park my car and walk into the building before signing in. Before I could turn the corner Piper is sprinting around the wall. "Randa! Randa!"

I bend down and her small arms tries to wrap me into a hug but I pull her in close and tight. She moves the wild strands from her face. "Randa." She pull at my arm as I stand.

"One moment sweetie." I say to her. She pouts but nod her head. I begin to speak to the woman that is in charge of Piper and her safety.

"She has to be back bright and early Sunday morning." She explains and then she hand over a small pad and I sign my name. "Behave Piper."

Piper waves her hand but she pull at my fingers again and say, "Randa. Randa." I laugh along with the other woman at Piper excitement. Piper and I walk towards the car door and I strap her into the car seat. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I haven't taken Piper out for a few days because I didn't want her to see the sadness in my eyes. But, I called her every night.

I had no choice but to suck it up when she told me on the phone that the mean older kids said I didn't love her anymore. I wanted to rush up there and threaten all of them but she said with confidence that she didn't believe them.

"....the snake was huge. The zoo keeper even let me pet it and all the others was scared but not me Randa. I was brave." She smile widely as she tell me her story about her trip to the zoo that I funded anonymously. She kick her legs and dig into her bookbag and pull out a piece of paper. "See look what I colored. It's for you."

I make a complete stop at the red light and grab the colorful paper. I glance at it and chuckle. "It's me and you and Sam and our future pet. His name Sitter because snakes can't stand." Piper explain. I laugh and take in my stick version of me with a colorful snake wrap around my legs with a huge smile on my face. I then see the other stick version with bright red hair standing next to me.