Chapter 3 Tears

As I waltzed through the supermarket isles, I grabbed about three loaves of bread and four bottles of water, it would last us at least three months! I even grabbed a can of chicken soup, just because I could, and because Dustin would appreciate a small treat for dinner. I payed for the food, and happily put the tons of extra change in my pocket, and walked home. Wrapping my scarf tighter against the early spring chill, I smiled at the children playing in their yards, having fun, enjoying their childhoods while they could, with their loving parents beside them. I felt a twinge of sorrow overcome me, knowing I couldn't ever have what they did.

Upon entering the garage, Dustin approached me with interest, as I had two bags that were large, rather than one tiny one. "Whoa, Caroline, how'd you get this much stuff...!?" He asked in surprise as he peeked into the bags. I smiled and told him everything. "While I was heading to the store, a generous man gave me a hundred dollars! He said he wanted to help, and he sure did!" I said with glee. I happily described the man to him.

Dustin's eyes widened a little, and he stepped towards me rather quickly. "Give me some of that money!" He nearly yelled, and I looked at him, confused. "Why? Is there something you need?" I asked curiously. "It's, a surprise, Caroline" he said with a small smile, and I smiled back, handing him a ten. "Okay, but don't spend too much, we need that," I exclaimed, and he nodded, quickly running out. As I put the food away, I thought about Mr.Privet, his kind and generous gesture. I started to wonder about how he had heard me, I was pretty quiet, and he wasn't that close to me, even if he was following right behind me... I didn't think anything of it, and yawned. "I'm all tuckered out..." I groaned, and rubbed my eyes. I slumped onto the mattress on the floor, and immediately fell asleep. A part of me now tells me that I should've remembered what my mom always told me when I was a child, "Caroline, don't go talking to strangers now, you could get hurt..." I should've listened to you mom...

_____
A few hours later, I woke up to the sound of thunder and the wooden side door opening. Dustin walked in, his eyes dilated and a belt tied tightly around his upper arm. I stared in disbelief as he chuckled slightly. "Dustin, what did you do with that money I gave you..." I said lowly under my breath. "J-just got some stuff, nothing to worry 'bout Caroline..." he chuckled, stumbling. I could see plain as day how high he was, I immediately lost my temper. "DUSTIN DO EVEN REALIZE WHAT DRUGS DO TO YOU!?" I screamed, standing up. Dustin must've not expected me to yell, and for a moment he just looked at me, then he smiled again. "I-it's not dangerous, it's f-fuuun..." he snickered, and I lost it. "YOU'RE JUST LIKE DAD!!!" I yelled, and ran out into the dark skied rain.

As I ran through the stormy night, I sobbed. I didn't want to hurt him, but Dustin was making the same mistakes our father had, using money for substance, and using that substance to cope with depression. I didn't know where I was going. I didn't care. I ran into the large field of grass and flowers, the tall slim green strips brushing against my bare legs. Upon exiting the field, I stopped, and sobbed on the side of the road. "Why does everyone do this to me..." I cried, and I silently begged for an angel. In that moment, my "angel" arrived in a small car beside me, a demon disguised as a sweet, innocent angel.