Chapter 6 Revelations

March 24th, 1975
When I woke up, I found Jack sitting down in front of me. He only had a towel on, wasn't wearing his glasses, and his hair was wet. "Must've had a bath..." I thought as I looked down to my bare knees. My back still burned with raw cuts from my whipping of last night, and I tried to ignore the pain. Jack had a sincere and pitiful look on his face. "Caroline, I know you must really hate me, and I don't blame you, I, I shouldn't have hit you so hard last night..." he said softly. I scowled at him. "You're probably just kissing up to me so I'll trust you, just so you can hit me again! Oh, and so you can do your ungodly doings to me again!" I snapped back at him, and he sighed. "I can see why you think that Caroline, I don't blame you..." he sighed and looked into my big grey eyes.

I didn't trust this man in any way, he was beyond evil. I simply turned my head and stared out the small window near the roof. For a while Jack simply looked at me, and he sighed. "Caroline, I'm sorry, I just, have desires that can't be helped..." he said, trying to get me to look at him, but I refused, my gaze icy and cold. I suddenly remembered something important, and looked at him with a worried look. "What's today's date...!?" I asked quickly, startling him. "U-um, it's, March 24th, 1975, why...?" He asked curiously. I nearly freaked out. "I need you to drive me to the local cemetery!" I nearly yelled. He sighed and looked at me. "We both know why I can't do that Caroline..." he said sternly.

I took a breath. "It's really important to me sir, I desperately need to go, I promise I'm not trying to escape, I won't talk to anyone, I just need to see someone, I do this every year..." I begged, and eventually he complied. My mother was buried on March 24th, 1965, and every year on that date I would visit her grave. It was tradition for me, but Dustin was too heartbroken to go visit her resting place, he never looked at her grave after the funeral, it brought back too many memories for him, which I understood.

After being unchained and dressing, I sat in the passenger seat of Jack's car. It had only been two days since I had seen the outside world, but it felt like it had practically been eternity already. As Jack drove to the graveyard, I put my hand in my hoodie pocket, and felt the glossy paper inside. Ever since my mom died, I carried a picture of her every day in my pocket. It was from her high school days, right after she met my dad. My dad had a natural talent and passion for photography, and he took the photo to forever remember the beautiful Sophia Pine, not knowing then that she would one day be his wife.

 My dad had a natural talent and passion for photography, and he took the photo to forever remember the beautiful Sophia Pine, not knowing then that she would one day be his wife

Upon arriving at the cemetery, I realized I didn't have my scarf and groaned in frustration. I wore it every day, but on this day it was most important. I wanted to ask Jack to drive me back to his home so I could grab it, but we were already almost there. Once we arrived, I got out and walked to my mother's grave.

Sophia Allison Pine- Andrews
Loving wife, mother, daughter
Will be forever loved and missed

"Hey Mom..." I spoke softly as I knelt in the grass, tracing my hands along the carved words in the stone. "It's been another rough year, but, me and Dustin worked through it," I said as I rested my head against the gravestone. "I'm sorry that I ran away from Dustin, but, I couldn't take it, I'd go back mom, if I could..." I muttered upon thinking of Jack. "My situation is awful, I wish you could come back and take me away from this cruelty..." I mumbled.

I plucked a few daisies from the grass and placed them atop her grave. "I'll be back next year mom, don't you worry, and, I hope heaven is treating you well..." I said, and stood up. As I walked back to Jack's car, I saw one of the cops that came to his home the day before, the one whose name tag I couldn't read. He was feeding the swans in the graveyards small pond, and he noticed me standing near him. He got up and smiled at me. "Oh, hello, you must be Violet, the girl from yesterday" he said, and I nodded. "Er, yeah, Violet," I spoke, almost having forgot the name Jack used for me to get away with his kidnapping. The man had dark brown eyes and hair, and a kind smile, he wasn't wearing his cop uniform. "He's probably off duty right now..." I thought.

The man looked at me for a moment the same way he did yesterday. "It's strange, you remind me so much of a little girl I used to know. She sure took after her mom when it came to beauty, you two look alike" he exclaimed with a smile. I gave him a confused look. "She was my daughter, she sure was one amazing kid," he said, his face then turning grim. "She's, not at home anymore..." he sighed, tearing up. I felt sympathy for this man. I knew what it was like to have someone you love die, and I gave him a gentle smile. "I'm sure she's watching over you, loving you dearly from high above" I exclaimed. He smiled at me and nodded. "Thank you Violet, that really made my day," he said with a sad smile, I smiled back. Something about this man gave me a sense of happiness, and a sense of belonging, it would take me a while to realize why, months even.

I waved bye to the man and went back to Jack's car. I suddenly felt like an idiot for not telling the man anything, but it wouldn't be good. Jack had closely been observing me the entire time. I wondered why I was even going back to him, but I knew if I ran, he would catch me, and do something far more sinister than just having sex with me. Once I entered his car, I sighed. "If you let me leave now, I won't tell anyone what you did sir..." I grumbled, and he smirked a little, as if it was a hilarious joke. "Like I said, you aren't leaving Caroline..."