Chapter 9 Reflections

June 3rd, 1975
He was trying to flatter me, I could tell. Jack often returned home with dresses for me, or treats that he knew I enjoyed. I didn't exactly like being spoiled like this, but I didn't complain. He was clearly trying his hardest to make me like him again to some extent. I placed all my dresses in a box I had in my room, carefully folding them and placing them. Jack gently knocked on the wood of my door. "Come in," I said softly. Jack quietly opened the door and walked down, he sat on my bed and looked at me while I put my clothes away.

By the way Jack looked at me, I could tell he was thinking about things. The way his eyes misted with thought was clear. "Caroline, I want to know," he spoke. "Are you, happy, here...?" He asked me. I looked at him, slightly biting my lip. "Um, what do you mean by that Jack?" I said quietly. Privet sighed and shook his head. "Caroline, all I want right now is to keep you from running away, and I keep doing things like buying you dresses and chocolate and things to make you happy, but, are you...?" He exclaimed, looking into my grey eyes. I couldn't answer him. How could I be, happy, in this secluded world that was his home? He had stolen me.

My silence gave him his answer, and he slowly nodded. "I see..." he sighed. Jack stood up, and went back out the door. I looked at the door frame in guilt. He was doing a lot for me, but it still didn't make me want to stay. I then shook my head. "Wait, why am I feeling guilt...? This man, he kidnapped me!!!" I thought. As much as Jack tried, day after day, I only felt sorrow, anger, stress, and hatred. I was kept hidden away from everyone. I wanted, NEEDED to escape. I couldn't.

"Save me..." I thought. "No one can..."