Chapter 14 Promises

June 26th, 1975
The day. It wouldn't be for another eight hours yet. As I woke up, I almost forgot that I was in my home, in my bed. All my memories of the previous day came back to me. I sat up, and hugged my knees, staring into nothingness. "Jack... he's alone now..." I thought, but I had no sympathy for him anymore, he was worthless to me. I stood up, brushed my hair and smoothed my clothes, and went downstairs. Upon exiting my room, I could smell the bacon my dad had been cooking, and he smiled at me as I entered the dining room. "Well good morning sunshine!" He exclaimed, putting some bacon on a plate along with a poached egg.

I smiled back and picked up the plate. "Thanks daddy," I said softly, and grabbed a fork. I sat at the table where Dustin was already scarfing down his food, he laughed at his own silliness and smiled at me. "Morning Caroline!" He cheered with his mouth full of food. It was the first time in a very long time that he had done that happily.

 It was the first time in a very long time that he had done that happily

I ate my food, smiling all the while. My dad sat at the table with his own breakfast and looked at Dustin and I. "So kids, what do you want to do today...?" He asked, which was understandable. He likely wanted to re-bond with us. "Dad, anything you want to do, will be perfectly fine..." I smiled, and he nodded. "After breakfast, I'll take you somewhere, a surprise though" he said with a smile. Both Dustin and I raced to see who could finish their breakfast first, and so we could get this surprise faster. Our dad laughed in amazement as we were like wild animals.

I finished first and yelled out with triumph, and put my plate and fork on the counter. As he said, dad then led us out to his car, and we got in. Once we were driving, I looked out the window and saw all the playing children, enjoying their childhoods. I could finally be like them. I smiled in happiness. My father drove us out to a small playground, secluded from busy streets and most buildings. I vaguely remembered it from being a small child. "We're here..." he said, and got out. Me and Dustin followed him. The playground was small and wooden, with a plastic slide swirling down to the sand. A small metal swing set sat in one corner.

"When you were both kids, I took you here with your mother, I'm not sure if you remember it though..." he said quietly. I sat down on one of the swings. As my father and Dustin ran around the surrounding field, laughing and yelling "I'm gonna get you!" and "nuh-uh!", I stared out in front of me, holding my black sleeved arms around the chains holding the swing. I blinked my eyes, and for a moment, standing near the road, was Jack. I felt my face go pale and my heart race with fear. Upon blinking again, he was gone. The shock made me fall over, and start to hyperventilate. Dustin and my dad ran over in a panic. "Caroline!" Dustin yelled as he knelt beside me, shaking me a little.

I was starting to black out, seeing dots cloud my vision, but I eventually got up, and my father put his arm under me to help me gain my balance. "Caroline, are you okay...!?" He asked, concerned and scared. "I-I'm fine," I stuttered, trying to tell myself I was imagining things. "He's not there Caroline, just because you broke your stupid promise to him doesn't mean he's there..."
_____
Jack walked back to his car, and got in, he sat in the drivers seat for a while. "She found her precious family..." he muttered as he twiddled a knife in his hand. Tonight he'd fix things.