Chapter 13 Partings

As I sat at the table, eating a delicious meal of chicken and rice (one of my mom's iconic dishes), I couldn't help but smile, once again seeing my family eating, all together again. Sadly, one of the four white chairs was empty, but you know why that is. I sighed, seeing the empty chair that sat across from my dad. I sat in wonder, wondering if I would attend school again, if I would make friends, get a boyfriend, I thought about my future. I hadn't been to school in many years, I didn't know almost anything that a girl my age would.

I ate in silence while my father talked about life as a police officer. I could hear Dustin listening to the radio, he was listening to Brandy by Looking Glass. I smiled, it was a good song. Ever since he was a young boy, my brother had a deep fascination with music. Everywhere he went, he would hum, whistle, and sing. As to why my brother loved music, it likely came from my mother's love of music. She loved to dance to, and would always beg my father to dance with her, and he would comply every time, even if he was terrible at it. All was right with the world. Sober father, fed children, loving home and family. I finished eating, and put my dishes in the sink. I went outside to the backyard, and found the tree, the one with a swing. I smiled upon seeing it, and sat down.

The swing was built by my father for Dustin while my mother was pregnant with me. I slowly started to swing myself back and forth, gaining leverage and speed. I giggled with glee as I swung fast and high. Though it hadn't been used in years, it was still just as strong as my father had built it fourteen years ago.
_____
I sat in the yard, staring up at the stars. I reached my hand up to touch the endless galaxy. It was at times like that I thought about my mom. While no one is perfect, my mom was probably the closest to it. She told me that stars could grant wishes if you wished hard enough, and the reason that there were so many was because you mustn't waste dreams, you cherish them, no matter how many you have."

"I want to be with my mother again..." I hoped in my mind. I had been holding onto that wish for a long time, careful not to waste it. I felt light in that moment, like air. I felt as if I could suddenly float up, and into the stars. I closed my eyes for a moment, and opened them back up. I smiled happily.

Little did I know, my wish would soon be granted.