Chapter 2: Can dogs climb trees?

Chapter 2

Can dogs climb tress?

As I was walking to school, I thought, what if that dream I had last night happens? What if this IS a dream? When I thought that, punched myself in the face really hard just to make sure this was reality. Yup, definitely not a dream I said, rubbing my right cheek. "Now what did you do that for?" a manly voice said out of nowhere. I looked to my right and saw our neighbour, Mr. Harborym. He was about in his early 30's and he was the first person me and my mom met when we moved here. He looked concerened. "Oh nothing Mr. Harborym, I was just feeling sleepy that's all" I replied giving a smile. Mr. Harborym smiled back. "That's not a reason to punch yourself. But that doesn't matter now, go on or you'll be later for school!" he reminded me letting out a small laugh. I put my eyes looking forward once again and resumed my walk to school. I checked my watch, 8:45, good, I'm not late.

I arrived at school with 5 minutes to spare. After a few classes of continuous suffering it was finally recess. It seemed Thomas was busy with his other friends, so I decided to go outside and explore the school. I walked around the school drinking from a juice box that I bought at the canteen. I wasn't hungry, and wasn't in the mood to eat either. I got tired so I decided to rest under a tree, it provided good shade from the sun so why not? I threw my juice box at a nearby trash can and sat under the tree. It was very relaxing. After a few minutes my state of relaxation was ruined because I heard the sound of something moving in the bushes. I looked around, I could see bushes in the distance, but there were no bushes near me to actually hear something. Unless I had super hearing powers, which I don't. I suspected the sound of leaves moving could only come from the tree. Before I could even looked up, a dog jumped from the tree and landed infront of me. I mean c'mon! A dog?! In a tree?! This is just ridiculous. My body slightly jumped due to the shock. The dog was just standing there, staring at me with glaring eyes. I felt uncomfortable about the situation, so I go up and started to walk away from the dog and the tree thinking I might've invaded it's territory or something. However, being the so called nerd that I am, I'm pretty sure dogs don't live in trees.

As I slowly started walking away the dog let out a loud growl. Now I was hoping it was just his stomach, but when he revealed his teeth my hopes of that were crushed. Wait, why is there a dog in the school campus anyway? Not to mention a wild one, I thought. It was as if the dog read my mind, because when I thought that it started running at me. At first my instinct was to run, but oh heck, what will that do? I decided to give the dog a kick to show him whose boss. Success. The kick landed straight to the side of it's face and he fell backwards. While I was busy feeling good about the fact that I just did that, the dog quickly got up on his feet and he looked angrier then he was before. It started barking at me. Yep, that's it, RUN! That very thought was all I could think of when I saw it ready to take me down. I started running as fast as I could, I ran as if there was a hoard of zombies chasing me. I ran as if there was no tomorrow. I looked back to see how far the dog was and guess what I found out? He was right behind me! I could literally feel that evil vibe from it. Unfortunately my bad luck got even worse, I was looking at the dog and running away at the same time, causing me to trip. Yeah, just like that. I tripped like a kid tripping over a pebble. There I was on the ground, for a moment I felt like my life flashed before my eyes, or at least something like that. I looked up and the dog immediately jumped on me, scratching and trying to land a good bite on my neck. Then I realized, I'm not gotta die here by some dog that jumped out of a tree! There is no way I am dying today! I quickly used my arm to protect myself from his mouth, fortunately for him it bit my right forearm. And the problem was, it didn't want to let go, it sunk it's teeth deeper into my arm, I screamed.

Boy did that hurt. Just when I was thinking about giving up I heard the voice of a student, I couldn't interpret the words or even hear it, it was all a blur, I was losing it, my mind filled with pain. Right when the dog was finishing my right arm, The student attacked the dog and said something that I didn't really hear. The dog ran away, but while it was running on the pathway, it turned to black dust and disappeared. That was the last thing I remember before passing out.

I woke up in a bed, I looked around, I could tell that it was probably the school clinic. I checked my watch to see the time but it wasn't on my arm. I looked at the small table standing at the left side of the bed and spotted my watch. I took it and read the time. 2:30, wow, was I really asleep that long? School is almost over for the day. Well, at least I got to skip classes. I started to remember what happened to me this morning, I started to think it was just another one of my bad dreams, I was asleep after all, but then again, why am I on the clinic bed of the school? I suddenly remembered my dog bite. I didn't even notice the bandages on my arm. It was damaged pretty badly before, but now it was bandaged all over. Phew, at least im not dead.

"Feeling better?" A feminine voice said from a distance, I looked to see it was the school nurse. "Yes, feeling much better thank you" I said trying to let out a smile. The school nurse was a pretty woman with dark red hair, she wore a white coat that really suited her. She stood about 5'6 feet tall and wore glasses. She was pretty cute. "You'v e been out for quite some time, a student was kind enough to bring you here. I've been told that you were attacked by a dog, is that true?" she asked with concern. "Yes, that is true" I said, now recalling everything that happened. "That's very strange. Pets or animals are not allowed to enter the school campus, unless it was a class pet or for a project, but that would mean getting permission from a teacher." the nurse said. She walked away from the bed and walked to the other end of the room, where she looked at a desk with drawers. She took a cup and a pill from the second drawer. She filled the cup with water and handed it to me. "Drink this, it will make you feel better" she said with a warm smile. She then got a chair and sat beside me on the left side of the bed. "So how did you get bit by the dog?" She asked. "Well I was running from it and I tripped and fell over, then it took that chance to pounce on me" I replied. " I see, so do you think the dog is still our there running around in the school campus?" The nurse asked. When she asked this, my mind clearly remembered what happened before I passed out. The dog turned into black dust and disappeared in the wind.

I decided to keep that part a secret, as well as the part where the dog jumped out of a tree. "Not likely" I replied to her looking at her eyes. "Oh, why not?" She asked. "Well the student that saved me started attacking it, and it scared him off, the last thing I remember was that the dog was running away. I doubt it lives here, so it probably went home" I told her. "Hmm, makes sense, let's just hope that his home isn't in the campus" she said. I nodded. "Oh right I forgot to introduce myself!" she said getting up from her chair. "My name is Lisa Carsley, I'm the new school nurse starting this year. Nice to meet you" she said, with a little enthusiasm. "Nice to meet you too Nurse Carsley" I said getting up and sitting on the bed. "You should rest up for a bit, you can go home when the bell rings, I have to go now, I have a meeting to attend" nurse Carsely said starting to walk out of the room. Now that I think about it, who was the student that saved me? I doubt it was Thomas, he said he was auditioning for soccer club so he could join. I stopped nurse Carsley before she went out the door. "Wait, what was the name of the guy that saved me?" I asked with deep curiosity. "Oh, it was a girl actually." Nurse Carsley said putting on a face to symbolize that she was trying to remember the name. My eyes widened a little when she said girl, well that's odd, but oh well I thought. I should thank her.

Nurse Carsley stood there for a minute thinking as if she had amnesia. "Oh right!" she said lifiting up a finger. "Her name is Sarah Wilber, Grade 10, class section A. Did that help?" Nurse Carsley asked. "Yes, thank you" I nodded politely. She left the room and closed the door. Sarah Wilber huh, we're both in the same grade, however im in section B. Oh well, I should thank her when I see her. Then it came to me, I don't even know what she looks like. Lucky me. When she helped me with the dog I barely saw anything, darn.