Chapter 6: Some fight that was...

Chapter 6

Some fight that was...

This was getting bad. He was coming closer to me every second. If I don't do something soon I'm toast. I quickly grabbed a frying pan from one of the cupboards under the island table. There's no way I'm gonna die here, I said to myself. A second later I jumped out of my hiding place. The man looked surprised, it was sudden after all. At least at that moment I got the element of surprise. In the slight second I jumped, I quickly locked my eyes on him. I won't miss. I aimed like he was my target in some extermination mission. I threw the frying pan at him and strike! It directly made contact with his head. This gave me the chance to sprint towards the door and run out of the apartment. I dashed, grabbing my shoes on the way because I was just wearing socks, and ran through the door.

I was looking for an elevator, I was unconscious when Sarah brought me here, so I have no idea what the layout of this building is. I just kept running. As I ran through the hallway I could here the man shout. It was clear that I pissed him off. Oh well. I finally found an elevator after turning a corner. I pressed the buttons repeatedly. The elevator sure took it's time. I could here the man runnning now. His footsteps were loud in the hallway. Finally the elevator opened. Phew. I rushed inside and pressed the ground floor. This is not the type of situation an average student should be experiencing. I managed to put on my shoes while waiting for the elevator to reach it's destination. I assumed that the man decided to take the stairs after me, but that would take some time, so maybe I'm safe at the moment.

The elevator finally reached the ground and I zoomed for the exit. People were looking at me like I was some crazy lunatic, but tell you what, they're not the ones being chased by some angry alchemist. I rushed out of the building, but I didn't stop there. I just kept runnning and running, and I planned to keep running until I was sure that I lost him. How am I gonna explain this to Sarah? I asked myself. I left her apartment door open too, not like that guy seemed willing to close it after he left. I ran through the streets, crossed a few pedestrian crossings, jumped over a few fences and climbed over some walls. I was near the school at this point. I thought this would be far enough, I stopped running and rested at the alley between two tall buildings. I sat down and took this opportunity to think. Who was that guy anyway? How does he know me? Was his real target Sarah? What does he even want from me? Well obviously he wanted my life, but still...

I wondered if more people like him are gonna come after me. That very idea sent a chill down my spine. I hope Sarah is okay, hope she doesn't go home to find her door open and nobody inside. As I sat there gathering my thoughts and regenerating my stamina, I saw a light coming from a wall at the far end of the alley. It couldn't be. The stone brick wall was now a metal door. Just as I thought, a transmutation. The tall man that was chasing me walked out of the metal door. Why am I not suprised. He was still carrying his metal bat too. When he noticed me he put on this uncomforting evil grin. Well, I guess he was tring to say that I'm screwed. He was a decent distance away, so maybe it was my chance to make a transmutation circle. It was now or never, sort of. I quickly took one of the chalks in my pocket and kneeled to the ground. I drew the cicle and started drawing the alchemical runes inside of it. When the man spotted what I was doing he laughed.

"Hahaha! There's no point kid! You'll still lose!" He shouted. He started charging towards me. Well that's not a good sign. However, I still continued to draw the transmutation circle. Before he got too close I managed to finish the circle. This is it Kai, you've read the books, studied it and repeated it in your head, you know exactly what to do, you can do this. With fire in my spirit I slapped the transmutation circle with my two hands to perform the transmutation. Two seconds passed. Nothing happened. What? Why? No, impossible, did I draw it wrong? No, I've drawn it absolutely correct, exactly what was shown on the book. I just kneeled there on the ground. This is hopeless. Why can't I do alchemy? It can't be! This is wrong! The man laughed as he was running towards me. "Hahaha wow kid! You're pathetic! Can't even do a single transmutation!! HAHAHAHAHA!!" He laughed.

No, this can't be happening. There's no Sarah to help me anymore. Is this it? Is this really how it ends? When the man was about 3 meters away from me he stopped running. "Just give up kid, you can't do it, let me end your suffering hahaha!" The man held the bat with his right hand and let it rest on his shoulders. "Wait, tell me your name first" I murmered, looking in his sunglasses where his eyes should be. "Oh, me? I'm Dicer Vermin, but you can call me the Steel Weapon Alchemist, but why would you want to know you pathetic kid" he chuckled and walked closer. "SO I KNOW THE PERSON I BEAT!!" I shouted with full wrath in my voice and in my heart. I'm not gonna die today, and I will make sure of that, with sheer determination and speed I quickly slapped the transmutaion circle I drew earlier. There's no way I'm gonna give up here! The second after I put my hands on the circle it turned blue and produced a bright light. Without warning a stone pillar rose from the ground and landed a good hit on the man's chin. He flew up and landed unconsciously on the ground. It happened, I actually did a transmutation. My heart was suddenly lifted and I felt a sense of joy. I felt like giving myself a pat on the back.

"Dang, I can't believe I just did that..." I whispered to myself. "But you did" interrupted a familiar voice from behind. I turned around to see Sarah standing behind me. "How long were you watching?" I asked her with a raised eyebrow. "Since the crazy guy transmuted the wall over there to a metal door" she exclaimed. "What! You were there the whole time and you did absolutely nothing but watch!" I complained. "I wanted to see what you would do, besides, I was gonna save you if something went wrong." She replied trying to calm me down. "Hey at least you can do alchemy" she added with a calming smile. "Yeah, suprisingly" I told her looking at my hand. "When you first tried to do it and it didn't work I honestly was about to jump in and save your butt, but I saw the fire in your eyes and I knew you had a plan, so I just let you be" she grinned. "Great, although I didn't have a plan, I basically just slapped the transmutation circle harder and with more anger, that's all" I told her sighing. "Oh you did much more than you think Kai" Sarah chirped smiling. "Now help me restrain him so we can ask him questions later" she ordered me.

We both walked up to the guy I just knocked out a minute ago. "The Steel Weapon Alchemist" Sarah whispered. "Do you know him?" I asked Sarah. "Yeah, he's a serial killer, he's been killing or years, well known as a murderer" Sarah explained in a serious way. "Don't worry though, he's not the one committing the murders around here that are happening lately." Sarah added. "But why would he target me?" I asked her in confusion. She looked me in the eyes with a stern face. "I don't know stupid, that's why I wanna restrain him and ask him questions when he wakes up" she explained. "Right" I replied. Sarah pointed to the building in front of us, "Let's go in here and bring him to the roof, we'll interrogate him there" Sarah pointed. She drew a transmutation circle with a chalk she took out of her pocket and transmuted small and tight handcuffs. Well that didn't look pleasing. Sarah attached the cuffs to him after putting his two arms behind his back. "C'mon, help me out here." She declared.