Chapter 3: The girl named Sarah Wilber

Chapter 3

The girl named Sarah Wilber

When the clock hit three the bell rang, I pushed myself to get up and walked out of the clinic closing the door behind me. When I was actually thinking of going home I remembered that I needed to get my backpack. So I walked to the school building and climbed up the stairs to the second floor, I could see many students leaving. It was like rush hour or something. I finally arrived at my classroom door, 10-B was written on it. Yep, this is the one. I opened the door and went inside, as expected it was empty. I found my bag sitting on my chair, I put it on and left ready to be on my way. As I walked out of the building I got this weird feeling that someone was watching me. Great. I thought it didn't matter, unless this person was an extreme stalker, but then again, I might be wrong. Apparently I managed to walk out of the school gate alive. How wonderful.

I arrived home at 3:20, I went inside, took off my shoes and stuffed them in the shoe rack. I was hungry so I went to the kitchen to see if there was something to eat in the fridge. I saw a note on the fridge, a letter from my mom. No wonder she wasn't here when I came home. I took the note and read. "Dear Kai, I've left to Hamilton, it's unfortunate, but I am sorry to say your Aunt Kelly passed away. Im going there to attend the funeral and will be staying there for a week or so. I'm sorry I Ieft without saying anything, and I'm sorry that I wasn't able to bring you with me. I decided that you need to stay here and continue to go to school. I've left money in the kitchen drawer and some sandwiches in the fridge. Stay safe.

-Mom".

This can't be happening... What is this? Another one of my nightmares? No, it can't be, this feels to real. My mom's sister, Aunt Kelly, dead? No, there's no way it's real. No way. Aunt Kelly took care of me when I was little. She moved to Hamilton and got married. There's no way it's the same Aunt Kelly. It can't be. I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe properly. This is wrong. Why is this happening?! My heart was breathing too fast for comfort. I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. The world was taking a loved one away from me. Anger and depression mixed inside me. I couldn't hold it. This was too much. I took a knife from the kitchen drawer. If this was really real, if all this is really happening, if my Aunt is really dead, then stabbing myself would hurt. Parts of me kept hoping this was a dream. Filled with tears, I aimed the knife at my stomach. I lifted the knife with my two hands above my head, ready to strike at my own body. "If this world really wants me to suffer might as well die!" I shouted.

Before I could stab myself the door burst open. "Kai! Don't do it!" A voice of a girl called out. I looked to see a black haired girl wearing our school uniform. I ignored her and looked to the knife again. "What would your mom think if you did that?!" She shouted walking closer. I was trembling. My hands were shaking and my legs felt like they couldn't carry the weight of my body. My hands were moving on it's own. "Kai! Don't!" She shouted again. She ran, before I could even react, she tackled me. The knife fell out of my hands and I was tackled to the floor, I hit my head and I was knocked out, by a girl. I woke up on a leather sofa. My mind was still faded. I opened my eyes, it was a blur, but I managed to make out the black color of the sofa. I tried to get up, but I couldn't, I felt like I didn't have enough energy. I tried again, with all the ounces of energy I had left. I finally managed to sit up on the sofa. I looked over the sofa. There was no way that this was my house. I looked at my watch, it was 7pm.

"Well look who's awake" a girl's voice echoed. I looked at the couch infront of me. There was a girl sitting on another leather sofa infront of me. There was a decent sized table between the two sofa's. "Where am I?" I asked her. "You're in my apartment Mr. Arc" she replied with a soft, kind voice. "Why? Why am I here? What happened?" I asked rubbing my eyes. "Guess I have to remind you that you tried to kill yourself in your house with a kitchen knife, I brought you here because we weren't safe there" she said making her voice serious. Her words repeated in my mind. I remember now. Aunt Kelly. So it wasn't a dream. Darnit. "Wait!" I said. "Why did you bring me here? What do you mean we weren't safe there? My house is perfectly fine!" I told her standing up, "Thank you for your hospitality, but I'm going home" I said clenching my fists. "Don't, you have to listen to me." she said standing up trying to stop me. "Besides I have the keys to your home, I've locked all windows and doors just incase" she said. "What?" I asked in confusion.

"Take a seat, there's a lot of things that I need to explain" she said sitting back down and motioning me to sit back down. I guess I have no choice, I thought. I let out a sigh, calmed down and took a seat. "So who are you?" I asked. "My name is Sarah Wilber, heard that name before?" she replied. My eyes widened. Sarah Wilber? No way, it's the same girl who saved me from the dog. Sarah had beautiful brown eyes, judging from when she stood up earlier, I'd say she was about 5'5 feet tall, a little shorter than me. She was still wearing our school uniform too. "Yes, I heard the name. Were you the one that saved me from the that dog?" She smiled, "Yes, that was me" she said. I looked at her, "Well, I suppose I should thank you. You saved my life. I apologize for acting harsh earlier." She smiled again. "That's okay, your welcome. I suppose you should stay here for the night, It's not safe out there" she said leaning forward. "Why do you keep saying it's not safe? Is somethiing wrong?" I asked trying to make my voice stern.

"Yes something is very wrong, but let's talk about that tomorrow, there's a lot of things I have to say, so you might as well get something to eat first then go to bed." She got up and motioned me to follow her. She gave me a burger to eat for dinner, I gladly ate it and finished it quickly then thanked her. "You can sleep in the bedroom. The bed sheets and the rest is already prepared, so go ahead and get some rest, we'll talk in the morning." Sarah went to a door and showed me a room and told me it was the guest room I was sleeping in for the night. She then went to another door and went in. I went inside the guest room, and jumped on the bed. "What a day" I said to myself, and dozed of to sleep.