Chapter 5: Turns out alchemy ain't no joke

Chapter 5

Turns out alchemy ain't no joke

It seemed like I've been reading these alchemy books for days. I checked my watch, it was already past 12, and Sarah still didn't come back. I wonder what was taking her so long. I've been studying alchemy for hours now. I've memorized a lot of transmutation circles and have pretty much gotten the just of what alchemy is. Even though a part of me kept believing none of this alchemy thing was real, I still chose to learn it. How smart is that? There were many parts I understood about alchemy, however there were still many parts that I didn't understand, or even learned. There were a lot of things in these books, chimeras, homunculus and especially something called the gate.

There was one thing I found very interesting in one of these alchemy books. It was called the Philosopher's Stone. The book mentioned that it breaks the law of equivalent exchange. I bet Sarah wanted to tell be about that law but forgot. Alchemy is often viewed as magical or miraculous by those unfamiliar with the craft, but it is a science and has certain laws and limitations, all of which fall under the concept of Equivalent Exchange, or so the book says. An important part in the text which I found to be intriguing was the actual law. "In order to obtain or create something, something of equal value must be lost or destroyed." That made sense to me, it's not like you could create something out of anything, or so I thought.

The Philosopher's Stone, also known by various other names such as the Red Stone or the Fifth Element, is a powerful transmutation amplifier. Due to the absolute law of alchemy being equivalent exchange, the stone gives the illusion that someone is able to override that law. Being that it is an illusion, the powers of the stone itself are not unlimited, and only appears to allow an alchemist to bypass equivalent exchange as long as the stone retains its power. The Philosopher's stone can take many forms, ranging from a lumpy, coal-like rock to a viscous liquid. Their color in the purely material form is always a dark, blood-like red. Usually the smaller it is, the less powerful the Philosopher's Stone.

I couldn't seem to forget the information these books provided. It's like they wouldn't leave my head. The next thing I knew, while my nose was still in the books, the doorbelll rang. Well, seems like Sarah finally came back. What was she doing all this time anyway? Shopping maybe. Oh well, I guess that doesn't matter now. I walked out the guest room to answer the door. I was wearing jeans and one of my favorite shirts colored black, I got it as a present a while back. I fast walked to the door, unlocked it and opened it...

It wasn't Sarah. Behind the door was a tall dark skinned man about 7 feet tall. He wore a white shirt with a black leather coat, as well as black jeans. He didn't look friendly either. I couldn't tell the look in his eyes because he was wearing sunglasses. However, I could still feel an uneasy vibe coming from him. I already knew this wasn't good, but I decided to ask first. "Good afternoon sir, are you an acquaintance of Ms. Sarah Wilber?" I tried to sound as formal as I could. The man looked even angrier, then without warning he swung his arm trying to punch me. I quickly jumped backwards. No idea how. I guess it was just reflexes, somehow I could tell it was coming. "Who are you?!" I shouted at him, trying as best as I could not to look like a scared kid. "Your worst nightmare you little brat" the man said in a low deep sounding voice. Okay, I know I'm in big trouble here, but 'your worst nightmare'? Seriously? Who still uses that line?

Then something happened, like deja vu from the alchemy books. The guy revealed his hands. Each palm of his hands had a transmutation circle drawn on it. Oh heck. Maybe alchemy 'is' real. I stood there dazed at the sight of the transmutation circles. It was like I couldn't move, it was like my body was waiting for something to happen. I guess I was waiting for something too, I was waiting for him to perform a transmutation. The man immediately slapped his right hand on the wall behind him. Light started to form around his hand, it was a light blue, almost white, light. I instantly knew he was performing a transmutation. Well Kai, you got your wish. Darnit. I've read in one of the books that the energy of a transmutation is released in the form of electric discharge. This was exactly it. Well, guess Sarah was telling the truth. Alchemy is indeed real.

What suprised me even more was that the man pulled out a steel machete from the wall. Well isn't that great, I'm surely dead. One thing I realized was the doorbell, I saw Sarah took the keys herself, so she wouldn't need to ring the doorbell. Oh c'mon Kai, why didn't I think that earlier. The man laughed. "Give it up little kid, you know you're gonna die here" the man laughed again. Now something stirred up anger into me, I don't know if it was the fact that I was gonna die here or the fact that he called me a little kid. Either way, this guy pissed me off. I suddenly had the urge not to die. I ran for the kitchen to check the drawer Sarah got a chalk out of this morning. Bingo. As expected there was a packet of chalks. I quickly stuffed one in my pocket and held another in my hand. I ducked under the kitchen island table. This guy just proved to me that alchemy was real. So there's a good chance I could do it too, but it would take to long to draw a transmutation circle on the spot, unlike him, who already drew some on his hands.

"You can't hide from me boy!" the man shouted. I looked up the counter to see where he was and the moment we made eye contact he immediately threw his machete at me. How crazy is that? In the mere second the machete was about to hit, I was able to dodge. The machete stabbed the wall behind me instead. I imagined my head being stabbed like that, which made me eager to stay alive. I noticed another light coming from a transmutation. I looked up to see him holding a metal baseball bat. Well that helps, at least I can be smashed to death instead of cut to death.